trivia about old TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name all the adjustment screws on old televisions? You know, the ones that required a screw driver to turn the dial

What was each adjustment called and what did it do?

Contrast - "warmth - or fade" of image

Brightness - brightness of image

Color - The strength of the color

Tint - changes the tones of the color, adjust to get proper skin tone.

Horizontal Hold - to hold screen position side to side

Vertical Hold - screen position up and down, prevents screen from flipping over and over.

Not an adjustment, but I love the way when an old TV was turned off the picture would collapse into a dot on the middle of the screen which would then slowly fade. Wish I could get my computer display to do that when i turn off the computer.

I remember ours had to 'warm up' for about 30 seconds before you could see a picture.

Originally Posted By: expat
I remember ours had to 'warm up' for about 30 seconds before you could see a picture.

Ahhh old tube technology. I still have a shortwave radio all tubes, made in 1960. You gotta wait 30 sec to min. before the sound comes on.

Last edited:
Way off topic, but my first car had a tube type radio. Yup, had to wait ~30 seconds before the AM music started.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I LOVED the old TV`s with the real wood-furniture grade cabinets!
are you serious???

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Can you name all the adjustment screws on old televisions? You know, the ones that required a screw driver to turn the dial

I think most of the old TVs I remember had those adjustments as little knobs behind a trap door, or even out in front. I know that as kids we were forbidden from touching them!

The oldest TV I remember had channels 2-13 and "U"; to see any UHF channels we had to set it on "U" and then use a separate tuner that was placed next to the TV to get those channels. When we bought our first color TV (in 1973 - a Philco) it was much more convenient because the knob for the UHF channels was built right into the TV. No more separate tuner! Having a color TV for the first time was a revelation - we'd stare at it like it was a psychedelic acid trip. Amazing!

Reminds me of the mid 60's and watching color TV for the first time on grandpas "round" screen color TV. He spent a few minutes everyday adjusting the various color levels to get it just right. Cartoons on Saturday morning were awesome!

While it's easy to make fun at the old televisions, one thing is certain. They sure used to last a whole lot longer than today's plastic and disposable TV's. I recall Magnavox, Curtis Mathis, and RCA's lasting fifteen to twenty years easy.

I still use a tube TV. As a video game collector, having a TV with which I can use my light guns is essential. I don't use it for watching TV except on election night and the superbowl.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
While it's easy to make fun at the old televisions, one thing is certain. They sure used to last a whole lot longer than today's plastic and disposable TV's. I recall Magnavox, Curtis Mathis, and RCA's lasting fifteen to twenty years easy.

All four of my Sony TVs are at least 10 years old, the oldest is 18 years. I almost wish one of them would finally kick the bucket so I have an excuse to get a nice HD flat screen.

I'm not sure about that..TV's before 1980 needed to be repaired every year or two. I personally have had good luck with my last 2 and that's since 1990

Not saying I am right though. I'll try not to argue for a change.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

I'm not sure about that..TV's before 1980 needed to be repaired every year or two. I personally have had good luck with my last 2 and that's since 1990

Not saying I am right though. I'll try not to argue for a change.
smile.gif

I can only say that when I was a kid (I'm in my late 40's) my parents TV's were all purchased from thrift stores. Most were ten years old from the start. We had TV's (as did some of my friends families) over twenty. All were B/W sets with no remotes. And no, I didn't have a lot of money growing up.
One of my current TV's is a $2500 50 inch plasma 1080 HD Philips purchased about 4 years ago. I've had issues with it already. Had another 32" LCD Sony that was less than 5 years and it pooped out. And I have a friend from work that had his 50 inch (three years old) plasma that had to be fixed under warranty.

I can remember as a kid in the 50's Dad taking the back off the TV and taking tubes out and taking them down the street to the grocery store where they had a machine to test them. When you found the bad one you could look in the cabinet for the replacement and go back home. Now a lot of the TV's are basically throwaway ones.

I remember all the static the old ones used to give out when you turned them off. I'd touch the screen, creep up behind my little brother, and........ZAP! I remember reading that they moved all the rarely needed knobs like the vertical and horizontal hold to the back or inside a door, because the average consumer was confused by all the knobs and just made things worse trying to adjust the picture. As for the wood cabinet, some of us just appreciate the look of fine furniture-not everyone wants the inside of their home to look like a spaceship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back