Trip to Florida,5K on the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Thursday morning I will be taking another trip to Florida in the Fusion. The 5th for this car. Total mileage will be about 2500 miles. At presant the oil has 5400 miles, so I will still be well under my customary 10K OCI when I return. New tires, air filter, and tranny oil change so I think we are ready to roll.

Highway miles??? Why even post it? No problem
smile.gif

I will be making that journey down there in February...mine will be closer to 3k miles round trip...sounds like you got your maintenance up to date and you are ready for some good driving ahead road trips are always fun

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Stop by Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach and visit, we can talk about Mobil 1 all day...lol

Have a safe and fun trip!

To bad I didn't know this in May, was at Oceans Landing for a week!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Brake fluid, power steering fluid and cabin filter ?

Have a good trip.

I changed the cabin air filter on my 6 at 34,000 miles (1.5yrs old). It was NASTY!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Highway miles??? Why even post it? No problem
smile.gif

Many here at BITOG are new to this site and appreciate this kind of info.

Have a good trip.

Very good point. As my habit is, every OC I do the turkey baster method to both PS fluid and the Master Cylinder. Both fluids always stay fresh.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Have a good trip.

Very good point. As my habit is, every OC I do the turkey baster method to both PS fluid and the Master Cylinder. Both fluids always stay fresh.

That brings up a good point that I have a question about....if you do the "turkey baster" thing does the fluid circulate enough for the new fluid to get down into the system where it's needed?

I would think yes on the PS system but NO on the brakes...but not sure on either.

Last edited:
Glad to see the Fusion is doing well like I knew it would..I see a ton of them down here..It cooled down to the mid to upper 80's here in Miami so I am sure it will be alot nicer and probably cooler where you are going..Have a safe trip.

Turkey baster method at every oil change is good for both PS system and Brake system, but the Brake system is needed to do complete bleed via bleeder screws every 2-3 years.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Originally Posted By: tig1

Have a good trip.

That brings up a good point that I have a question about....if you do the "turkey baster" thing does the fluid circulate enough for the new fluid to get down into the system where it's needed?

I would think yes on the PS system but NO on the brakes...but not sure on either.

Actually the brake system does circulate the fluid, but it just takes a little longer. I have seen that in other peoples cars. The MC fluid would be very dark and when the brake fluid was drawn out and replaced it didn't take long to darken up again.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Glad to see the Fusion is doing well like I knew it would..I see a ton of them down here..It cooled down to the mid to upper 80's here in Miami so I am sure it will be alot nicer and probably cooler where you are going..Have a safe trip.

Thanks. We are going to Gainesville for 4 days,(family lives there) then the whole clan is going to Panama City Beach for a week. As you may remember my old Merc GM had 18 trips to Florida, so I hope the Fusion holds up that well. This will be the 5th.

I take my 16 year old Ford Contour to Key West every other year. This coming year is for Key West again! I maintain the car and trust it. I have a trusted mechanic look it over before the vacation. I have about 2,500+ miles on the oil from my trip to Maine this year and some drives to work. I park the car in a heated garage for the winter months. I'm not going to change the oil or filter this year. The oil is Schaeffer's SL 5W-30 Blend using LC20 and FP60 and the filter is a Mobil 1. Since the vast majority of miles are highway, past and future, I feel the oil has been treated easily and has lots of highway miles life left in it.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back