Trip in the Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I went on our first kid free vacation since our honeymoon. Drove the Cube because when we did a short trip to James Madison University (from Philly) it gave us 36 mpg. We were a little more loaded and the weather was a little colder, but our speed was roughly the same. The Cube had plenty of room and was comfortable. However, there was a lot of wind and especially on the way down, I could feel it getting pushed quite a bit. In addition, the gas mileage went down to 28 mpg. Dreadful. Our minivan consistently produces those numbers on that type of trip. Anyway, we decided after that from now on the minivan will get the nod on long trips. Just can't beat it for comfort, room and fuel economy- and it is 7 years older with 100,000 more miles!

ref

Mini Vans are a victim of their own success. They are so good at what they do, that they became too popular and an anti "I don't want to be like the Jones'" developed.

If you have kids, there is still no better vehicle to have.

Yeah, it kills me when a lager/heavier V6 vehicle gets the same/similar MPG than the smaller vehicle with a 4 banger. And more room and comfort to boot!

I mean, you are comparing the vehicles in your household and the two are apples & oranges. But, I do get!

smile.gif

CB

I'd assume though, if you were driving the two side by side on these trips, the Odyssey would be getting 28 when the Cube was getting 36mpg, and the Odyssey would be getting 24 when the Cube was getting 28mpg. Getting blown around isn't much fun for hours on end, been there before...

I'm impressed the Cube gets 36mpg at anytime though on an interstate.

It's a Cube... It's like a cardboard box going down the road. Not very aerodynamic. I'd blame the wind for this round and still try it out on another trip.

Minivans are typically superior comfort vehicles with decent enough MPG for the space/stretch you get.

When our next vehicle dies headed that direction esp with 3 kids(2 grade school + 1 infant).

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Mini Vans are a victim of their own success. They are so good at what they do, that they became too popular and an anti "I don't want to be like the Jones'" developed.

If you have kids, there is still no better vehicle to have.

Agree, ours is definitely a workhorse for us. Great for hauling stuff and people.

Both vehicles we have are capable of hauling our family of 5, but with the van, there's less fighting with the older 2 since they have a bit more personal space.

Worth whatever the MPG cost is for me.

One thing about kids: you wind up ferrying around other kids on a regular basis. Play dates, trading favors, etc. having two plus open seats is a boon for those times.

Last edited:
Perhaps all that air you felt was coming from the open mouths of the people forced to actually look at the Cube?

Originally Posted By: supton
One thing about kids: you wind up ferrying around other kids on a regular basis. Play dates, trading favors, etc. having two plus open seats is a boon for those times.

Sounds like the perfect reason to not have extra seats.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Sounds like the perfect reason to not have extra seats.
smile.gif

I have thought of that myself! 3 rows vs 2 rows... Oh well, we have a couple years to figure it out.

Unfortunately, that is true. Just as it is if you have a pickup, you become everyone's mover.

All of the requests go to my wife. I make it clear I don't really want any part of that, and I generally am not as it happens during the week. So her problem (though she doesn't see it as a problem).

There are times when I'd like to have a van, but for our usual daily transportation needs I'd rather not drive a large vehicle like that.
Once in a while I ask my wife "Do you think we need a van?"
She promptly answers "I don't want to drive something that big!"

36mpg nice. I thought they were rated @ 30, so it did real well;

My parents live in H-burg; I like visiting, but the trip in the winter time is a beeat. Looks like Thursday is a good day to avoid travelling.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
There are times when I'd like to have a van, but for our usual daily transportation needs I'd rather not drive a large vehicle like that.
Once in a while I ask my wife "Do you think we need a van?"
She promptly answers "I don't want to drive something that big!"

My Grand Caravan is 8 inches longer than my Malibu.
Women make such a big deal over just a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back