Trimmer Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never even seen one run. I am a bit skeptical that the overall energy use and pollution is less as manufacturing, shipping, recycling the steel cylinder has to use a heck of a lot of energy... All for 2 hours of weed eating?
Also figure out how to dispose of the cylinders first, in some areas they won't take intact ones without a large disposal fee.

I can only relate to the 4-cycle Troy-bilt I had. It was heavy and if you didn't store it in a 'sitting on the floor' position, oil would seep from the sump and into the exhaust and/or out the carb. My worst areas with that trimmer was the direct drive no clutch output on it and an awkward string head. If it was better in those area's I'd still have it. This LEHR says it has a centrifugal clutch and the bump-feed head looks good too. I'd give one a go if the price was right.

Joel

The Home Depot I work at had them originally priced at $199 and $219 (straight vs. curved) but now I think we've marked them down to $169 & $149. I'm considering it, but it's a new concept to me. I'm SICK SICK SICK of my TroyBilt electric. It works great, the bump-feed works fine, but loading line is a P.I.T.A. and I dread doing it every time. I'm also a little tired of dragging cords.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
The Home Depot I work at had them originally priced at $199 and $219 (straight vs. curved) but now I think we've marked them down to $169 & $149. I'm considering it, but it's a new concept to me. I'm SICK SICK SICK of my TroyBilt electric. It works great, the bump-feed works fine, but loading line is a P.I.T.A. and I dread doing it every time. I'm also a little tired of dragging cords.

I don't think any commercial guys ever use a bump feed because of the loading and malfunction issues. On my Stihl FS86 I have a line holder sort of like this...
385-487.jpg

You press the button and slide a line out once its worn and then put in a new one... takes 2 seconds and works every time...
I use rino-tuff .105 line and 2 pieces does a 1/2 mile of electric fence. Basically a piece per tank. I don't know why the cheap trimmers don't come with this simple system.

IMO, the propane fueled trimmer is a good option for personal use on a smaller yard. For large yards, or commercial applications I would think having to buy these propane tanks at $2,50 a can might prove costly in the long run....My 32cc 2 cycle Craftsman sips gas, probably cost me $ 1 dollar a year to trim my 1 acre lot, plus my mothers 1/2 acre lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back