TRIJICON MRO

Any one have one of these. Never have owned a red dot type site. The MRO and the Aimpoint T2 look pretty good.

I had to close out that this thread already exists to post? I've never had to do that before this must be the New improved way of doing business?

To me, it depends upon the main usage. Shotgun? Handgun? AR? I do not own an MRO but have used a green dot MRO. For me, I found the height awkward. Otherwise stellar product and Trijicon quality is stellar.

I have an older REFLEX sight of about 16 years ago that has help up and it's good for a shotgun mount. I have Aimpoint and it does the job well for AR and shotgun. I prefer EOTech holo image over the Aimpoint for AR's.

For multiplatform I find the trijicon RMR to be amazing. It is my favorite on handgun and shotgun. It does well on AR for CQB distances too.

Well after a little more reading it would seem most of these Red Dot type sights have some significant parallax issues. Think I'm going to stick wth a 1.5 X 5 Leupold.

The good red dot sights (Aimpoint & Trijicon) don’t have any significant parallax. Even if your eye is off axis and you can only just see the dot at the edge of the tube if the dot‘s on the target, press the trigger and get a hit.

The problems with red dots are:
If you have any astigmatism a red dot will showcase that for you.
Red dots don’t help you see. If you can’t see the target with your eyes you won’t be able to see it with the optic.

That said, red dots are very fast and you can better maintain situational awareness because yo can keep both eyes open. FOV isn’t a problem.

The real answer is what kind of shooting are you wanting to do? For close up work out to ~300 yards with a man sized target red dots work fine.

For me, for general purpose work with a rifle I like lower power scopes in the 1.5-3x range. Not as fast close up but the ability of the scope to gather light and let you identify targets can be a help once you get a little range going.

BSW

Any one have one of these. Never have owned a red dot type site. The MRO and the Aimpoint T2 look pretty good.

I had to close out that this thread already exists to post? I've never had to do that before this must be the New improved way of doing business?
I tried one of the early ones. It sucked. The t2 is excellent.

Well after a little more reading it would seem most of these Red Dot type sights have some significant parallax issues. Think I'm going to stick wth a 1.5 X 5 Leupold.
That is a good scope, but it is also very dated. Is there a budget constraint you are working within?

I have a pistol intended for shorter range work, say 0-100 yards. It’s a .300 BLK with the Leupold Carbine Optic. It’s a crystal clear, no parallax, sight with a great FOV. A great sight.

I have a .308 rifle intended for longer range work, it has 1-8x scope. A Vortex Strike Eagle. I’ve only shot it out to 100 yards, but man, that scope is nice at range. It wouldn’t be my first choice for close quarters since the FOV on a scope is so narrow. Even at 1x.

I have a pistol intended for shorter range work, say 0-100 yards. It’s a .300 BLK with the Leupold Carbine Optic. It’s a crystal clear, no parallax, sight with a great FOV. A great sight.

I have a .308 rifle intended for longer range work, it has 1-8x scope. A Vortex Strike Eagle. I’ve only shot it out to 100 yards, but man, that scope is nice at range. It wouldn’t be my first choice for close quarters since the FOV on a scope is so narrow. Even at 1x.

The FOV on that scope is larger than a red dot by far on 1x. Try it out.

The FOV on that scope is larger than a red dot by far on 1x. Try it out.
If your red dot has a limited FOV you’re using a cheap red dot. Aimpoints and the like have essentially a unlimited FOV only limited by the diameter of the tube. With some practice using one my brain ignores the shadowing caused by the out of focus tube and merges the inside and outside views in my head. Essentially I only see a dot floating on space and the targets.

There are 1x optics that have limited FOV because they use lenses to collect light. They do tend to be cheaper though.

BSW

If your red dot has a limited FOV you’re using a cheap red dot. Aimpoints and the like have essentially a unlimited FOV only limited by the diameter of the tube. With some practice using one my brain ignores the shadowing caused by the out of focus tube and merges the inside and outside views in my head. Essentially I only see a dot floating on space and the targets.

There are 1x optics that have limited FOV because they use lenses to collect light. They do tend to be cheaper though.

BSW
Both my scope and my aimpoint only have a ghost ring, so to speak, but that is not fov. That is true unity. Fov is what is seen through the optic, and my aimpoint has much less than my nx8.

Back