Tried pricing out the new Ryzen AM5 system-insane!

I realize this is a brand new AM5 platform, but these prices are simply insane IMO. Just the processor, motherboard and ram it would cost me almost $900 before taxes. That’s for mid range specs! 🤯

My entire, minus graphic card, current system (ryzen 7 5700x) cost me around $1100.

Looks like the tables have turned and Intel seems to be the value proposition now.

D4D150A2-7BCE-408C-A20A-A107E458808E.jpeg

That doesn't look like a mid range specs motherboard to me. Besides that, yeah if you want to be an early adopter, you pay the price. Personally, no way I'd spend even $500 (on just the board, CPU, and memory) to not even get 50% higher performance.

That is a "upper midclass" system.

That motherboard is $290 at Micro Center, in stock today. A Ryzen 5 7600X is $299.
You can build a cheaper alternative and or find some things cheaper elsewhere.

Unfortunately decent graphics cards are the expensive singular component.

microcenter has the 8core for 399 with free 32GB ram and mobos start at 259(-20)
the motherboard are abit pricy but 125$ ones coming soon.

$639< $894

I priced out a nice 12core build and it was around 1500 without graphics card.

microcenter has the 8core for 399 with free 32GB ram and mobos start at 259(-20)
the motherboard are abit pricy but 125$ ones coming soon.

$639< $894

I priced out a nice 12core build and it was around 1500 without graphics card.
On purpose? LOL

Well they only have the enthusiast mobos right now the mainstream will arrive shortly.
yes they know what they got.. and are not value pricing it.
I meant the "abit pricey" part. I love looking and hearing wordplay like that. If you remember Abit was a MB maker in the past and they were sometimes pretty $$, but they were good overclockers. Just thought it was a funny play on words :)

I meant the "abit pricey" part. I love looking and hearing wordplay like that. If you remember Abit was a MB maker in the past and they were sometimes pretty $$, but they were good overclockers. Just thought it was a funny play on words :)
oh right I had one of those right before they went under..
Jan 2008
ABIT IP35 Pro
with a q6600
image_2022-10-08_192157506.png

q6600 good overclocker from what I remember from the good ole dayes. lol 5 years ago, seems like forever

I remember 20 years ago when the Athlon 550 was being made on an 18u process intended for the 750MHz and higher chips. As I recall, the processor was $150ish, a good ASUS/MSI/etc. motherboard was $120-150, and RAM was about the same.

Looking back at the prices 20 years ago, what you show doesn’t seem that out of line.

Last edited:
oh right I had one of those right before they went under..
Jan 2008
ABIT IP35 Pro
with a q6600
View attachment 120255

Small world. Thought that model sounded familiar. I purchased the same one back in 2008. I did return it (don't recall why). Ended up with an Asus P5K which is still running today with the E8400 Core 2 Duo as media server.

newegg.JPG

For AM5, I believe the B650 boards are coming out soon which will help bring the system cost down some. DD5 has dropped quite a bit this summer but assume that will also get less expensive as it gets adopted more.

bjldPNS.png

Paid the early adopter price itching to jump onto the new platform. Decided not to go nuts on the motherboard since more features ≠ more performance. AMD EXPO and DDR5-6000 is the new hotness for Zen4 for 1:1 memory controller:RAM frequency and automatic overclocking.

That’s for mid range specs! 🤯

B650, R5 7600, 16GB DDR5-6000 minimum RAM would be considered mid range.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely surprised so many of you think these prices are OK. I probably would as well if the new platform gave some really mind blowing performance gains, but it does not.

Looks like the trend that graphic cards started is spreading to processors and motherboards and people are happy to pay these prices. Good for them I guess.

B650, R5 7600, 16GB DDR5-6000 minimum RAM would be considered mid range.

IDK, I look at features not the naming.

I would not consider a 6 core processor and 16 gb of ram mid range. 6 cores is pretty much the new 4 cores and 16gb of ram was mid range 10 years ago with ddr3 memory. RAM can be excused to an extent because same thing happened when we went from ddr3 to ddr4 and once ddr4 became common its price dropped accordingly.

That MSI motherboard looks to have similar features to my B550 Gigabyte Aorus pro AC. It doesn’t even have PCIe 5.0. So what’s the point of the x670 chipset? Just to have extra m.2 slots? Not much of an upgrade IMO.

I would say your system is very much mid range feature wise, just not price wise.

Last edited:
The Ryzen 7 7700X is either right behind or sometimes beating the 12 core Intel Core i7-12700K in benchmarks despite being down 4 cores, and I think is more of a far comparison to the AMD. Found some better ram for slightly less (5600 vs 5200, CL36 vs CL40), and that motherboard is $290 at Newegg.

The price difference seems to be entirely in the motherboard, cheapest AM5 board that comes up on PC part picker is $260 at Newegg and they’re running a $15 off promo. Including that I got it down to $804 vs $749 for an equivalent Intel system, but I included a motherboard that was $32 more ($190 vs $158) than the absolute cheapest one to keep the number of PCIe x16 slots consistent between the 2.

If you’re gaming a 5800X3D might not be a bad option, Intel didn’t seem keen on talking about it in their presentation on the i9-13900K lol… they compared the 13900K using DDR5 5600 to the 5800x3d using DDR4 3200, which the 13900K also supports.
F318B8EB-E655-49DE-88C3-92A44A7D7D90.jpeg

Remember Ryzen 3000-series and 5000-series and now 7000-series the 6 core CPUs are on par with the 8 core prior generation. While also being faster in single core. So that's $100 savings right now on the 6 vs 8 core CPU if you care.

But, yeah, as already said, DDR5 prices will continue to fall, and the current mobos are what are currently out of line.

B650 and B650E motherboards coming soon… still a bit pricey but should come down a bit as production ramps up (in theory at least)

B650 and B650E motherboards coming soon… still a bit pricey but should come down a bit as production ramps up (in theory at least)

That is one bare bones motherboard for $200. I mean PCIe 4.0, really on a new gen? No WIFI, only 4 SATA ports, bare bones audio. Did all of that have to be sacrificed for 3 m.2 drives? I highly doubt it.
Terrible value IMO. I hope it sells as terribly and forces the prices drop.

Back