Tried a New Oil Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the WalMart Super Tech full synth. 10W-30 today, I was planning on M1 @ $20 for 4 quart, but just could not pass up the ST @ $11. I used in with a Pure One filter. Should 5k be OK with this combo?

Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.0L
75K, only city+ offroad driving

Not to bust your bubble;

You are aware SuperTech, Castrol, Valvoline Synthetics are fakes right?

If you want Synthetic Mobil 1 and German Castrol OW30 are the only true ones there.

The jury is still out on if Quaker State Synethetic is real again.

There is plenty here to explain what I am talking about...pardon my angst *lol*

Side note: K-Mart has a Mobil 1 sale, 4.00$/qt

yeah, I know it is not going to be as good as mobile 1...but the for the price I thought I would give it a try.

btw, I made a typo up top. the M1 was $20 for _5_ quarts not 4.

Am I the only one here that buys Mobil 1 at Costco for 4 bucks a quart? Never seen any post about buying M1 at Costco here. Geez, and we thought Wal-mart had good prices!

Wal-mart 5qts Mobil 1 - $19.82 -div by 5 = $3.96 per qt which is LESS than $4.00 a qt!! sounds like a better deal to me being this deal has NO membership fee!!!!! would have too buy a lot of oil to offset the yearly $45 membership fee!!

Well, I'm going to see how it does on the Jeep.
It's probably not something I would put in my v8 mustang, but I think (hope) it will be sufficient on the trusty 4.0L.

I did a search on the S-T oil and it seems like it is just a blend of whatever "synthetic" they can get at the time. Supposedly it is not as consistant/quality control like the other synthetics.
I almost got that Rotella-T (sp?) someone suggested but it was like 10w-40 or something which kind of concerned me. Would this viscocity be OK, w/ constant 80-100* ambient temps.

[ April 26, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: OiledMustangGT ]

The Wal-Mart and Target in my area have M1 for $3.44 a qt. It is cheaper for me to buy individual qts that 5 gal jugs.

you should be fine going to 5k, **** near any api sl 10w30 should make it to 5k.

but why didnt you grab a gallon jug of shell rotella for a single dollar more?

Actually the ST breaks down to $2.40 a QT and rotella T syn to $3.25 a QT. That being said I'd personally go with rotella T syn. You get shells' XHVI base oil(a better group III) and a somewhat better additive pack. I guess at this rate I could talk myself into mobil 1 for $3.95 a QT, where does it end?
grin.gif
By the way, the shell's a 5w-40, and I wouldn't hesitate to run it in a 4.0(search UOA's, Delvac 1 5w-40 ). But you'll be fine with ST for 4000-5000mi OCI, it is a group III, at least we hope, just kidding!

Just a side note, those pure ones' are really restrictive, maybe consider regular purolator a ST or Motorcraft. Wix and Hastings are also good choices.

[ April 27, 2004, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

If your referencing your restrictive remark based on the oil filter study, that is questionable. The oil filter flow was determined at room temperature, not normal oil temperatures. The PureOne will have no problem meeting the flow requirements for your vehicle.

The Pure one is very good, probably the best under $7. They are only $4.50 here though.

-T

I was not impressed with the Pure One PL30001. The filter media is not uniform, there were large gaps between the pleats where it is connected. This was from cutting open 5 of them.

Have you guys seen this oil filter test? I posted it in another thread last week. Very interesting test methods. You must click on pore and flow study details in the link.mercruiser oil filter test

Go with the flow! What do you think OiledMustangGT?

[ May 01, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

SCHMOE:
quote:

If your referencing your restrictive remark based on the oil filter study, that is questionable. The oil filter flow was determined at room temperature, not normal oil temperatures. The PureOne will have no problem meeting the flow requirements for your vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, But if a filter is more restrictive to room temp oil it's also more restrictive to operating temp oil. Any filter will meet the oiling requirements of an engine thru bypass mode. And because of PureOnes' restrictive nature it will create a greater psi differential across the media therefore going in to bypass more often and/or longer. Especially during start-up,quick acceleration and high rpm.

OiledMustangGT- I'm trying the same thing. Picked up 5 qt. jug of 10W-30 SuperTech Full Synthetic (Group III at least, I hope?) for $9.00. Another poster showed the ST synthetic is the "Mag 1" brand by Warren Distributing, Nebraska. Just put it in my PT Cruiser and will have an oil analysis done at around 6K. And I'm using a Amsoil oil filter with it. The 10W-30 is the recommended visc for the temps in my state (>100 degrees at times).

Strange combo...the oil filter ($10) cost more than the synthetic oil ($9)! The PT has a 5+ qts refill capacity.

OiledMustangGt
My wife purchased 2 jugs of 10w-30 Supertech Full Synthetic. They were priced at $9.56 each I am assuming that is what she paid for them, still at $11 not bad.
In reference to them being fake, well maybe not synthetic on par with mobil 1, but still dang good oil.
Presently I am running Rotella T Full Synthetic, with a Supertech filter in '99 Dodge truck. Mobil 1 with Supertech filter in '97 850 Volvo
Noticed you are located in La. Where? I am in the Gonzales area.

[ May 02, 2004, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: twentynine ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back