Tricycle Pedal Parts - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago at a yard sale, I purchased an old (Made in USA) Roadmaster tricycle for my son to ride when he was old enough. He's 3 now, and loves riding his trike. The problem is that one of the pedals slipped off, and when it did, the push-on locking retaining washer (that's supposed to hold the pedal on) also came off and was lost. The washers are approx. 3/8" I.D. X 1/16" thick.

Basically the way the locking washers work is you slide the pedal approx. 1/2 way onto the spindle, then you slide the washer into the slot in the center of the pedal, then slide then pedal and washer together onto the spindle. The washer is a friction fit on the spindle, which (in theory) prevents the pedal from slipping off the spindle.

I can't seem to find a replacement source for these washers anywhere. Does anybody know where I can find these washers, or perhaps some replacement pedals that come with new washers?

Thanks in advance.

Can you use one of those little "pound on" units instead? They look like a little metal derby and most hardwar stores carry them. Just pound it on with a hammer onto the end of the axle. It is a tight friction fit.

You could also use a one-way washer (not sure what the part is called).

It's a washer made out of spring steel. It looks like it has little saw cuts radiating out from center hole to about halfway through the washer. The inner hole itself is smaller than the bolt/rod it is meant to go onto.

The little saw cuts allow the tabs/wings to spread a little to compensate for the hole that is too small and it creates a very strong one-way retainer.

Sorry for the poor description, but these fasenters are used on a number of kid's toys/plastic cars etc. I think they have them at Home Depot. They often have a plastic cap over the top (so they can be used at the end of a rod). The plastic can be removed easily if you can't find one without plastic.

Jim 5,

What you have described is exactly what I am going to try. For some strange reason, I didn't think of those type washers right away. I guess my brain has not had enough caffeine this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back