TRAXXAS Stampede 2X4 Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montreal (West Island), Ile Perrot & Vaudreuil Reg
Just picked one of these up at Best Buy and I am seeing all sorts of machined Aluminum parts all over Amazon.

I got this for my Daughter she LOVES RC cars and truck stuff and decided getting a Traxxas would be a money saver in the long run as you can get parts where toy store RC cars once they break a control arm or something minor they are only good for the garbage.

Even if you wear out a set of tires for a cheap RC car you might have a hard time finding parts.

So I bit the bullet and got her a 2 X 4 Stampede, not the VXL version as this is her first RC car and I want her to learn how to repair it etc. She is very smart.

Any tips or parts I should go Aluminum with? Any comments? Anyone here into RC cars?

If there is anyone in the Vaudreuil, Dorion, or West Island areas that want to get together and race I think this thing will be a lot of fun for her. I might get one but this hobby seems to be very $$$.

I will add piles of pics later to this thread!

I used to have a bunch of RC cars that I raced. I would be cautious with the aluminum parts as it will just move the failure to somewhere else. The plastic is also more forgiving and will result in less overall failures. My rule of thumb was that if the part was a pain to replace I would go aluminum. If it was easy I stayed plastic.

I personally never cared for the aluminum parts like control arms, etc. A few deployments ago we all got into RC... When you crash a car with aluminum parts they bend vs break and tend to take other components with them, at least from what I saw. One guy tore the body pan on his Rustler... The control arm wasn't the weakest link.

They only thing I went high-end on were the axles and gears. My VXL Rustler was one [censored] of a hot rod. Used super glue to keep the tires in place on the wheels. Once I did that I started breaking axles. Mostly I just kept spare Traxxas parts and various wheels/tires on hand.

I did bend a shock one time. If I didn't have a factory spare on hand, I would have gone with a heavy duty set.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I used to have a bunch of RC cars that I raced. I would be cautious with the aluminum parts as it will just move the failure to somewhere else. The plastic is also more forgiving and will result in less overall failures. My rule of thumb was that if the part was a pain to replace I would go aluminum. If it was easy I stayed plastic.

Been playing with RC cars for over 30 years. I agree 100% with 09_GXP. If you find you need a tougher plastic part, check out a company called RPM.
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/

A lot of this aluminum stuff is just bling, designed to lighten your wallet, and add weight to your truck.

Thanks JetStar and 09_GXP!!

I just cancelled a TON of Aluminum parts before an Amazon order shipped.

I stuck with Aluminum Front Bumper and rear skid plate, ordered an RPM big plastic front bumper for fun based on the recommendation of this company.

Is there a kids mode for this Traxxas Stampede or do I just adjust the trim on the throttle?

She is going to love this thing.

The reason I went for the 2 x 4 model is it would be a great beginner truck, simpler for her as she gets older.

There is an upgraded model of this truck VXL or something with a better motor I am going to look into to maybe get for myself so we can drive them around together. Or just get another base model.

Is the 4 x 4 Stampede a lot better? Any pitfalls to this model other than price?

Thanks for all the info I am waiting until this Saturday to open the box up with her she will be thrilled.

Scrap the electric and teach her to tune a nitro ha.

Nothing worthwhile to contribute. Good luck, definitely a good parent/child activity especially the learning how to drive and fixing the parts that break during that learning. My girls love putting together rockets (launching them too) and model cars. I foresee an RC or two in the future.

I've never had a Traxxas, but have had many Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya and an HPI. I still have a couple of nitro cars. A long time ago I raced the Associated and Kyosho cars.

I completely agree, no AL control arms unless they are designed to breakaway, you want the arms to break before something else, I'd just buy spare stock ones.

I've used some hop up parts made of AL, but usually to address some specific deficiency or add adjustability which shouldn't be a factor unless you're racing.

I also agree - if it doesn't have bearings get them...

You'll probably be able to figure out a good spares kit on one of the forums, but I'd guess control arms and possibly shock towers and several extra batteries, nothing worse than breaking the car and not having spares or waiting on batterie packs to charge.

It has been forever since I ordered, but Tower Hobbies used to be about the best thing going.

In addition to trimming the throttle, you could try replace the pinion and spur gear and gear it lower. It's been years since I touched my pede, so I don't know if things are the same, but back then I put 12T/96T gears on it and it had tons of torque while lowering top speed, with the side benefit of longer run time.

FWIW: On some of these cars, there is an electronic "new user" mode that reduces the top speed, steering arc, etc. until they learn more driving control techniques.

Thanks for all your help guys, and the recommendation of RPM as an aftermarket moulded parts company I ordered all the stuff I figured would break down the line to have it.

I got some Trenchers and spare rims on Amazon, the prices and free shipping make it easy to get started in RC.

When I was a kid we had to drive far to Hobby stores with limited selection, and high prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back