Traverse ATF recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new-to-me Traverse is just shy of 100,000 and due for an ATF change, among other things. Already saw some of the horror stories about broken wave plates among Traverse/Acadia/Outlook brethren. Shifts OK for now, though the fluid is looking brown. Any favorites for Dexron VI replacement?

Doesn't need to be licensed as Maxlife, Amsoil, Peak, Mag1, Lubegard, Redline, Amalie, and numerous others make synth Dex6 equivalents.

If you stick with a licensed DexVI, there are several that are full synthetic and are the ones that I'd recommend since you're paying a premium for that license.

I would use Maxlife. Full synthetic and seems to work well in most transmissions. I have it in both my cars and couldn't be happier.

Maxlife is great stuff and a popular choice. However, it isn;t officially licensed by GM.

Mag 1 also makes a Low Vis ATF that's licensed Dex6

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Doesn't need to be licensed as Maxlife, Amsoil, Peak, Mag1, Lubegard, Redline, Amalie, and numerous others make synth Dex6 equivalents.

If you stick with a licensed DexVI, there are several that are full synthetic and are the ones that I'd recommend since you're paying a premium for that license.

Your reply has some serious inaccuracies.. As with a lot of your posts, your information is clearly derived from marketing information and your own personal bias towards using aftermarket parts whenever possible.

The Dexron-VI licensing program is critical because it assures that the fluid provides the proper performance and durability for every application that Dexron-VI is called for. The additive package specifies certain base oil blends. However the performance of the final formulations will all be very similar. WhiteWolf has formulation experience and can comment further.

With a 3rd party fluid that is unlicensed, you are relying on the small blenders and the additive mfg to do the testing. Do you REALLY think their fluid was tested in every vehicle/Trans/application that it is recommended for? Think about the available financial resources of each party.

If you think about this situation logically, the choice should be very clear.

tommygun,

His warranty is about to expire (5 years/100000 miles) so Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF would be my choice. Out here, Auto-Zone beats Walmart's everyday price, typically $15.99/gallon.

Gary

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Your reply has some serious inaccuracies.. As with a lot of your posts, your information is clearly derived from marketing information and your own personal bias towards using aftermarket parts whenever possible.

The Dexron-VI licensing program is critical because it assures that the fluid provides the proper performance and durability for every application that Dexron-VI is called for. The additive package specifies certain base oil blends. However the performance of the final formulations will all be very similar. WhiteWolf has formulation experience and can comment further.

With a 3rd party fluid that is unlicensed, you are relying on the small blenders and the additive mfg to do the testing. Do you REALLY think their fluid was tested in every vehicle/Trans/application that it is recommended for? Think about the available financial resources of each party.

If you think about this situation logically, the choice should be very clear.

It just seems like you're making an assumption that a fluid cannot pass the dex requirements without being licensed, which isn't true. The requirement a set of criteria a fluid must pass, the license is a logo a corporation says you can paint on your bottles. Presumably having the logo means you meet the requirement, but not having it doesn't mean you don't.

I'm sure it's within Valvoline's capabilities to make a licensed Dex VI product. The fact they recommend it without being licensed wouldn't shy me away. Same with the Dexos spec and Ashland products. If that makes you or the OP want to shop elsewhere I certainly wouldn't find that odd, but at the same time I wouldn't go out chastising those who choose otherwise.

Sorry Critic, I don't have a vested financial interest in GM or their parts entity.
I also have a strong understanding of DexVI requirements and am not a fool enough to think that no one else can meet or exceed those requirements.

If GM were so secure in their OE fluid, let them take a dozen or so boutique/aftermarket unlicensed/licensed competitors and run them against the GM/ACDelco brand in a comparison test, like what Amsoil does with their fluid testing.

Maxlife is superior to DexronVI, whether or not it has the license. You have Maxlife with synthetic base oils and Lubrizol additive package vs DexronVI made by Petro Canada and using a mostly mineral base with less advanced additive package.

Maxlife isn't exactly a high mileage atf like we are used to with high mileage oils, it's simply an amazing synthetic atf at a bargain price if you buy the gallon on sale.

When I did the transmission service in the Trailblazer, I used the Valvoline Dexron VI, fantastic stuff. Also it is full synthetic.

Well... Seems the nearby Autozone only had Castrol Transmax Dex6 in stock
confused2.gif
, so that's what I went with. Made a noticeable improvement though, it felt like it was slowly shuddering into some gears before, now it feels like the shifts are firmer and quicker. What came out was pretty brown though, so maybe tomorrow I'll look for some more Castrol and do another change.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
confused2.gif
, so that's what I went with. Made a noticeable improvement though, it felt like it was slowly shuddering into some gears before, now it feels like the shifts are firmer and quicker. What came out was pretty brown though, so maybe tomorrow I'll look for some more Castrol and do another change.

The Castrol is good too, If it was that dirty I would do it one or two times anyways.

Offtopic: Has anyone tried the Seafoam TransTune? I did put it in my car it did make a bit of difference in shifting, made the fluid slightly darker after running a few hundred miles before draining and refilling which i assume it was doing its job.. any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
confused2.gif

While some fluids might be better, any Dex VI fluid is a very good fluid so you did good to put some fresh stuff in. I assume you did a pan drop and filter change? How much fluid came out when you did the change? If I were you, I'd do at least one more, perhaps more than that depending on how little came out. It varies a lot by vehicle and I do not have experience with this trans.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck

While some fluids might be better, any Dex VI fluid is a very good fluid so you did good to put some fresh stuff in. I assume you did a pan drop and filter change? How much fluid came out when you did the change? If I were you, I'd do at least one more, perhaps more than that depending on how little came out. It varies a lot by vehicle and I do not have experience with this trans.

It actually has a drain plug, no pan to drop. Filter is apparently non-serviceable; it's buried inside the case and considered a lifetime part. I got 5.5 quarts out of it, but I don't know what the total capacity is. Owner's manual says the change capacity is 5.3 quarts.

I guess the service manual only gives the drain and fill amounts. Anyone know the full capacity of a 6T75?

Also the wave plate issues IIRC was pre 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back