Traveling Respiratory Therapists being offered $140 an hour to work at hospitals

I have long felt the same. Realistically, I don't know why anyone would be a tech when you can make $20-30/hr equivalency waiting tables at any decent chain restaurant, especially if you can manage time and demand like a tech can. The only people I know who are techs, are people who shouldn't be, or people who are in school and using this as a doorway into an organization/to feel out an organization. This is part of why it's so difficult to actually keep a good tech. They graduate and move on, or they flat out are full of fail and finally get fired or leave. The demands of that job are far greater than the pay, in a strictly monetary sense.
Yup, all but 2 of our techs are in school or planning on it, most for other medical careers (a few nursing, one for radiology, one for paramedic).
One tech not in school is an woman in her late 50's that retired from EMS a few years ago and enjoys the medical field and wanted to do something since she is still young enough to do it. The other is a guy that just really enjoys being an ER tech. His wife has a good job and makes the money, so he does not do it for money, he actually enjoys it, and is a really good tech.
These 2 are also the only 2 that are still around from when I was a tech back in 2012-2013. All the rest quit (most to go work EMS full time), got fired, are currently nurses or other medical positions.

Reactions: Ws6
Is that because they 'left' and went the traveling option ? If so, that's bull**** on the hospital's part as they are the ones that have caused this ! I'm sure most areas aren't any different than ours, but in a 30-mile radius of Dayton OH, counting full-blown hospitals and remote hospitals/ERs, there must be 2 dozen facilities and not counting the VA hospital and one other facility, the others are operated by (2) "networks". If you're blacklisted by either, you're effectively shut out of local work.

Good for them ! As I said above, the hospitals created this problem.

Hall,

Lots of blacklisted folks that won’t be allow to rejoin their prior healthcare organization if they quit on short notice in times of desperate needs.

Doctors, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Physical Therapists, etc... can find work elsewhere in their city.

My wife is a Registered Respiratory Therapist, has worked as a supervisor, has a BS degree, critical care completed, etc. and was offered almost $200 an hour in NY back when the virus was really bad there in the beginning. She stuck with her current job which pays about $40 per hour.

Another thing about RTs is in the service they're enlisted while nurses are officers. They have always been "below" nurses but are in demand right now.

Yep. My wife was a nurse in the Air Force and retired as a Major.

Both jobs are super important in a hospital.

Last edited:
Back