Traveling Respiratory Therapists being offered $140 an hour to work at hospitals

$3.19/gal for 87, $4-450/sq-ft in my neighborhood. Southern CA has similar prices but with significantly lower nursing salaries.

It is tough work for that kind of salary. I can see why many nurses aspire to move up to becoming a NP.
Salaries overlap depending, in my area. It's nothing for a nurse here to make $100-150K/year. Starting salaries are...starting. I personally in that position wouldn't throw good money and time after bad by investing in an NP, but that's just me.

I do believe an NP education is worth it.

Theres good money in the medical field and people are willing to put up with the stress of job.

No job is perfect....

I do believe an NP education is worth it.

Theres good money in the medical field and people are willing to put up with the stress of job.

No job is perfect....

There is always value in education.
The question is- what is the ROI?

An extra 60-100K in debt in exchange for the same or slightly higher salary?

Reactions: Ws6
There is always value in education.
The question is- what is the ROI?

An extra 60-100K in debt in exchange for the same or slightly higher salary?
Exactly. Around here NP's typically make $90-150. I know nurses who make that much, all through that spectrum, not just the overlap at 90. There is no way if I were making 90, that I'd throw another several years of school and money and time at an NP.

I’ve met lots of wealthy non doctors in the healthcare industry, lots of career avenues to pursue.

It’s best to make as much as possible and then leave the industry.

• Love
I’ve met lots of wealthy non doctors in the healthcare industry, lots of career avenues to pursue.

Doctors dont pull ahead of ASNs until near 40, and that's assuming they go straight through school, no detours, and take out loans not spoonfed .

Or go into some aspect not involving patient care, which I guess you could argue as leaving. But yeah, healthcare is a total pump and dump. Low barrier to entry as rn/rt, etc. vs. income. Just a miserable profession. Get in, get paid, get out.

How is that any different than a non-traveler ? A non-traveling nurse making, let's say, $35/hour also has taxes, insurance, etc taken out.
You just up your exemptions when youre making tons,but lower it when you earn less for the tax year. Got to keep your eye on the juggling act though so you dont end up owing end of year with penalties for late underpayment. Just estimate your yearly and adjust accordingly. It may be easier for some to just pay the increased taxes while your making" mo money" then get it back after taxes if/when your year end gross wage averages lower.

My wife was a traveller PT out of college. She got paid at least twice her current wage 20 years ago.

She ended up in miserable locations no normal person would want to be in. The worst rural parts of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico but enjoyed the people and fellow travelers. Thankfully she left and I got to meet her .

At her work two RT have died of Covid. Not sure if worth the money.
nope

Maybe if their hospitals treated them better they wouldn't have left. Everyone knows it's a short-term thing, as far as careers go, so if they are willing to walk away from their hospital for it, there's probably a reason. Maybe the hospital will stop treating their employees like disposable items when they realize how much it's costing them. Until then, they're just going to have to suck it up and pay the travelers.

Maybe if their hospitals treated them better they wouldn't have left. Everyone knows it's a short-term thing, as far as careers go, so if they are willing to walk away from their hospital for it, there's probably a reason. Maybe the hospital will stop treating their employees like disposable items when they realize how much it's costing them. Until then, they're just going to have to suck it up and pay the travelers.
1-"willing to walk away from their hospital for it, there's probably a reason"
REPLY Yes to this...but
2-"Maybe the hospital will stop treating their employees like disposable items when they realize how much it's costing them. Until then, they're just going to have to suck it up and pay the travelers."
REPLY They either dont care or cant see it. It is quite common. i think theres much psychopathy in management of acute and non acute hospitals

1-"willing to walk away from their hospital for it, there's probably a reason"
REPLY Yes to this...but
2-"Maybe the hospital will stop treating their employees like disposable items when they realize how much it's costing them. Until then, they're just going to have to suck it up and pay the travelers."
REPLY They either dont care or cant see it. It is quite common. i think theres much psychopathy in management of acute and non acute hospitals
Staffing cost is always a front end issue. Never back end. They dont care that experienced staff will save them millions. What they care about is new grads cost 20 bucks an hour less.

My daughter wants to get into the RT program at her college in June. It’s the only or one of two colleges in AL that have a bachelors degree in RT.

They let 25 kids in a year.

That is probably more to do with the shortage and higher wage than anything else.

My daughter wants to get into the RT program at her college in June. It’s the only or one of two colleges in AL that have a bachelors degree in RT.

That is probably more to do with the shortage and higher wage than anything else.
Respectfully, my advice is to pursue a different field. As always, I'll refund what you've paid me for this advice if it isn't to anyones liking.

Good for her. I couldn’t do it but those that do find it rewarding working in ICU, CVICU, Burn, Trauma, NICU, PICU, etc...

Again, RTs don’t get the credit the deserve.

I‘ve been in healthcare for 30+ years and have see a lot.

Last edited:
Off Topic:

When I was a Biomed Technician (repair, test and calibration of various medical equipment) a long time ago...... all the RTs that I met were top notch folks and saved the day many times when a Cold Blue was called and patient had one foot in the grave and other foot balancing on a banana peel.

A very BIG 👍 to these folks in the RT field.

Last edited:
$175 an hour now here in Florida.

Full Time employees at hospitals are walking off the job mid shift to join a staffing agency as a traveling RT.

Very good $$$$ 💰 💰

$175 an hour now here in Florida.

Full Time employees at hospitals are walking off the job mid shift to join a staffing agency as a traveling RT.

Very good $$$$ 💰 💰
It is an issue in a lot of places. We lost 7 full time and 3 part time nurses (out of 60) to travel in our ER.
We have 2 more that are doing travel and still working full time (basically working 7 days a week).
Our ICU has lost 3/4 of it's staff to travel.

Most hospitals are having to put incentives in place to keep staff.
I know one local system is paying their nurses and RT $8000 if they just work their regular shifts for 3 months (which is about to hit next week).
Some are paying a increasing bonus for each extra shift worked over the regular six shifts per 2 week pay period, as well as a 6 week bonus based on hours worked.
I know a few nurses that have made an extra $15,000+ in 6 weeks with the bonus pay and overtime.
Now that is working five 12 hour days a week for 6 weeks, and that is a hard 12 hours.
Not quite as much as the $125-150/hr for 60 hrs a week that some of the travel nurses make, but you are still at home, and have a job with benefits when this is over.
I know some of the nurses that left are on a do not rehire list, and in nursing, things like that get around even though there is no official list around here (but some areas do have this that is shared between facilities). So hopefully they can get a job when this is said and done.

The contracts around here are ending and most are not being renewed.
I know 2 of our travel nurse contracts were ended early (but they still get paid for the contract time by the state, and I think can get transferred to another facility), and the other 3 we have are not sure if theirs will be fulfilled to the end of the month.

Last edited:
  • Love
Back