Trasko results

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, here are the results of the oil analysis on my 2004 Chevy Venture, 3.0 L V6, 30,500 miles.

Using a trasko filter
Mobile 1 5/W30
Approximately 11k miles +/- 100 on the oil

TBN=2.2

Particle count:
ISO code 14/10
>2mu 252
>5mu 93
>10mu 25
>15mu 10
>25mu 2
Zero for all larger sizes

Aluminum=3 - Universal Averages = 4
Cromium=1 - UA=1
Iron=35 - UA=14
Copper=48 - UA=5
Lead=17 - UA=1
Tin=1 - UA=0
Moly=74 - UA=35
Ni=1 - UA=1
Manganese=3 - UA=0
Silver=0 - UA=0
Titanium=0 - UA=0
Potassium=0 - UA=2
boron=33 - UA=23
Silicon=40 - UA=11
Sodium=4 - UA=3
Calcium=2304 - UA=1946
Magnesium=12 - UA=119
Phosphorus=601 - UA=746
Zinc=769 - UA=863
Barium=0 - UA=0

Viscosity should be 65-78, is 61.4
Flashpoint SB >375, is 400
Fuel SB Antifreeze SB 0, is 0.0
Water SB Insolubles SB
So.... what does it mean?
grin.gif

It looks like Iron is somewhat high, copper is very high, lead very high.

Moly is high (is that part of the add pack?)
Silicon is way high (in particular what does that mean?)
Magnesium is way low. What does THAT mean?

Particle counts look pretty good to me, given that this is not a true TP ROLL filter.

All of the properties look good as well. No antifreeze leakage (of particular concern in this engine).

I asked for a Dyson analysis but didn't receive it. In fact I had just about given up on the entire report, thinking it had been lost in the mail.

high silicon = you definatly have an air filter problem...either in the seal of the air box or the filter itself needs to be changed .

Lead is high ..caused by the silicon ???

copper ..GMs tend to throw that stuff off like a kid talking with a mouth full of popcorn.

Iron too high for my taste I would run the the iterval much less next time ..11000 miles = way too long

BTW . why not email Terry Dyson and find out about you report , he probaobly never received it.

Is this your first run on this oil? If it is then you might not be able to tell how well the oil did until its second or third run.

This is my first oil change since I've owned the car. This was a fleet (rental) which I purchased at 19.3k miles. AFAIK there was no engine overhaul. The checks say it was never reported in an accident, accident etc.

I bought it, drove it 250 miles home, took it to my shop and had the oil changed to M1 5w30 and had the trasko put on. Also had the tranny flush and mobile synthetic ATF put in.

This is the Chevy v6 which in years past was famous for coolant leakage. Apparently GM fixed that problem - crushing of the head gasket seals due to minute flexing of the head as it heats up / cools down. Anyway, no sign of water or coolant which is one thing I wanted to know. I see nothing in the report (though certainly no expert) to indicate that a 10K oic is a bad thing, at least with this oil and a trasko.

The ISO code of 14/10 is "clean" and the particle counts aren't too bad. I sure which other trasko owners would get particle counts so we could start to get a comparison.

Looks like your filter is doing an excellent job. Mobil 1 is excellent oil but looks like your engine may not like this weight. Of course you need to get the silicon under control before you start trying different weights. My guess is 5w-40 would give you better results. Check with other Chevy owners.

John, please forward your raw data to [email protected] and we will get your read out as long as you paid for the service.

Roaming through here I saw your comment today. I am also checking with Bklabs on the issue.

Please , in the future if there is any question about when and where a test is, let me know !

Thanks Deepsquat !

Terry

How much was your UOA. Next month I should be coming up on 15k with my trasko and M1 oil. I plan to get a particle count done too.

quote:

Originally posted by Schultz:
How much was your UOA. Next month I should be coming up on 15k with my trasko and M1 oil. I plan to get a particle count done too.

The total from Blackstone with a TBN, particle count and Dyson analysis was $60. I think I will do this a few times then just cut back to the analysis without all the extras once I get a feel for things.

FYI if the Dyson/Bklabs package is purchased at 6 or more at a time we can get the customer a 10% discount off the $40 per kit fee. $36 per kit is a great value.

Iron is 3.2 ppm per 1000 miles. Not great, but not awful. The TBN shows that there is still some life left in this oil.

All these results need to be considered in light of the 11000 mile service of the oil.

Ken

All this is saying is that the filter was loaded up and reduced to the 20u mesh filter. Much like the Frantz, the filter elements load up - but the good news, you have clean oil longer and stretch out the OCI. So back it down to 8k and sample again if you don't feel comfortable with these pretty good results. (And, yes, I own a Trasko and don't get past 4k without oil turn black from blowby in my older minivan - so try as it might to be a mini refinery, it has it's limits).

Yes, I like the trasko for the convienence, screw it on and just change the element. It is NOT a "toilet paper roll" replacement, the filter element is just too small to do the same job a TP roll does.

It does appear to do a significantly better job that the high end FF filters, especially if the filter element is changed regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back