Transverse V8

Good point on the Volvo/Yamaha V8 though. I forgot about that one.

I've had the pleasure of driving several S80 V8's, and they SCOOT. Horrible to work on, but they really move. The XC90... not so much. Honestly, the V8 should have been the only engine offered in those, with MAYBE the 2.9 T6 as the base engine. Both the 2.5T and the 3.2 are terribly underpowered for something that size. Heck, the 3.2 is a dog even in the standard S80/V70 cars!
While I agree with you, the target market for that brand isn't particularly interested in 0-60 times.
Volvo has a history of making under-powered vehicles, dating back to the last century.
This is why the Volvo V8 swap was so common on the old 200 and 700 series.

While I agree with you, the target market for that brand isn't particularly interested in 0-60 times.
Volvo has a history of making under-powered vehicles, dating back to the last century.

Leaving aside a few dedicated performance models, I agree with you. The Swedes were much like the British when it came to power. "Adequate" is the word Rolls Royce loved to use when it came to power ratings, if I'm not mistaken. Volvo took much the same approach. I have no problem labeling most Volvo's as "adequate" in the power department.

A nice woman at work had a Volvo 850 Turbo. That box went OK. She gave me a ride one day at lunch.
but FWD. Boo. A 244DL with a Buick 215 would be a decent sleeper - but I think the mid sixties Chevy II drove better.

The 95-02 Lincoln Continental had a 4.6 4 valve shoe horned into a Taurus platform.

Now there's a thought: Since the Conti used the original Taurus platform through '02... I'd find the newest parts car Conti I could, and a clapped out '95 or earlier SHO with a manual and have a party. I'm pretty sure that with access to both a donor and a patient vehicle, you could manage to create a 300 horse, 5-speed, (relatively) lightweight sleeper for not much cash. Perfect cars and coffee contender.

Back