transmissoin stop leak for 91 Aerostar XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 91 Ford Aerostar XL and the automatic transmission is slowlyleaking through a small rubber drain cap that is dried out and located on the top of the tranny which is unfortunate for me because a new cap is nothing to get from Ford but it is unreachable without dropping the entire exhaust system due to lack of working space. Has anyone used a successfully a transmission stop leak additive that would fix this problem.

If that rubber drain cap is dryed up you might have to replace it, can you get up in there and put some RTV silicone on it.

Sounds like a vent cap. Is the unit overfilled or fluid old or starting to foam up? Stop leak would be more for rotational or shaft seals and sometimes gaskets, but I doubt that it would help the problem his is having.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Sounds like a vent cap. Is the unit overfilled or fluid old or starting to foam up? Stop leak would be more for rotational or shaft seals and sometimes gaskets, but I doubt that it would help the problem his is having.

My mistake, sounds like a vent cap, follow what bmtechguy has said here.

it is the vent cap , but I can't get up in there without dropping the exhaust which is a real B$%^h. It only drips a bit each day but after while it adds up.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
it is the vent cap , but I can't get up in there without dropping the exhaust which is a real B$%^h. It only drips a bit each day but after while it adds up.

How does the trans fluid look.

When was the last time the transpan was dropped and the trans filter was changed.

Does the transmission work o.k. besides the leak.

Its worth a try. Either a bottle of Lucas snot, or any highmileage transmission treatment, or a flush with a highmileage ATF is worth a try. Maxlife it!

I would not use any stop leak. There is no telling what kind of damage it could do.

Your best bet will probably be to pull up the carpet or vinyl flooring. There should be a panel you can remove over the transmission. I'm not sure if that will give you access to the part you need to replace, but I would try that before stop leak.

overall the tranny is in excellent condition shifts well as for fluid changes I have had to top that thing u so many times that it probably got at least 3 changes in one year, I'm constantly topping it up so the fluid is always new and I don't drive it very far or a lot for that matter.

overall the tranny is in excellent condition shifts well as for fluid changes I have had to top that thing u so many times that it probably got at least 3 changes in one year, I'm constantly topping it up so the fluid is always new and I don't drive it very far or a lot for that matter.

Do you know if other people who have Aerostar's are having the same problem.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Do you know if other people who have Aerostar's are having the same problem.

I have owned 4 of them and I've never had that problem. Each one has hit 250K+ miles except the current one that I have is at 160K.

How much trans fluid are you adding say:

1) Weekly
2) Monthly

You probably have very clean transmission fluid.

I might be tempted to pull the carpet back and drill a hole in the floor to replace the vent, then use some polybutle caulk and metal to seal the hole.

My two cents

I probably put about 1l of new ATF in it a week. I talked with my mechanic he said in order to fix it i would have to drop the exhaust which would clear some space to allow me to get maybe a hand up into the top area but he said I would probably have to drop the cross member and lower one end of the the tranny to get a enough room available to break the seal around the cap off with a screw driver then change the vent plug. I'm not dropping the tranny it isn't worth it.

The only other option I can think of is finding a high temperature epoxy or silicone sealant and just dropping the exhaust system to make enough room for me to get my hand in there and just cover the leak with silicone or epoxy?

What do you think? any other ideas?

Last edited:
Try pulling up the carpet. It's pretty likely there's an access panel o the floor to remove, which would probably give you easy access to it. I know that Explorers and Rangers with the same transmission definitely have the panel, so your van might have one.

Edit: never mind, I see that 01rangerxl already suggested that.

Last edited:
yeah I know about the access panel, but it only gives me access to the front of the tranny where it meets up with the engine the vent is further back underneath the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back