Transmission slippage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past week I have noticed the transmission in my 2004 Tahoe has started to slip. Today I had 5 guys riding with me and it was obvious that I had some slippage. It is a 2WD with 60K miles on it.

Any suggestions on what can/should be done to improve things? Will a flush from the dealership take care of things?

Thanks for your input!!

Check the fluid, make sure it is full and if it is red in color (there are times where color doesn't matter but it's a good thing to look at). If it's brown and smells burnt, then get a filter service (if applicable) and flush it.

What engine/tranny(4l60E)?

Which shifts have slippage?

Start with a full flush including filter change.

A shift kit should help reducing slipping. But, if you've allowed it to slip excessively, you'll add to the premature death. Drive gently!

I would make sure the fluid is fairly fresh and at the proper level.
Then auto rx it to clean the clutch plates then switch to a syn fluid as a last resort.

Amsoil Mobil 1 ect. Are you under any type of warranty? Has the fluid ever been changed?

Thanks for all of the comments. This is a 5.3L engine, but I am not sure about the transmission. I will have to check. The transmission only slipped one time as I was accelerating from a stop. It was very slight, but enough to cause me concern.

I took it to the dealership and got the fluid changed. The Tech could not find any problems with the transmission at all. The fluid looks much cleaner (redder) now. I hope it never happens again.

The Tahoe was out of warranty and this was the first transmission fluid change.

Did it truly slip or just flare between shifts? There's a difference that is distinct if you've experienced both. Slipage is just like a manual clutch slipping ..or worse. I can just be less go for the revs applied ..or NO GO with the revs applied. A flare will just be a gap between the release of one clutch and the engagment of another. The engine has a slight transitional period where nothing is connected and it picks up a bit. It's almost like a hicup ..but only occurs at the shift point.

Well....now that you describe it like that it may have been more of a flare. It was a slight NO GO when I applied the gas. It wasn't really a jerk when like what happens when a manual clutch slips. It only happened one time when I had 5 guys and their luggage (1400+ lbs) in the truck. It doesn't happen at high revs or at high speeds. Just this one time when accelerating from Stop. Maybe it was no big deal???

Flares always happen between gears ..1-2 shift 2-3 shift ..etc. Basically is a mistiming of applications and disengagements. If it's from when you take your foot off of the brake and apply the gas ..then it's usually low pump pressure.

But seeing that you've had no further issues ..and have had the trans serviced I'd just figure it was some random thing.

I had the shock of my life. I just put a 2 quart deeper pan on my jeep. It was a Mopar OEM part. It came with an extension for the screen (new one included). I swapped the magnet ..etc..etc. filled it with the proper fluid ....

Then I backed into a driveway to turn around and the engine just revved and nothing happened. I said "What the eph??" Level was fine. That really boiled my noodle. Then, a couple of times, the trans shifted like it was at WOT. Not shifting until it reached max governor pressure (like 40 and 65 mph). I mentioned this to my daughter who occasionally used it (she had taken it to college for one year) ..and she said "Oh yeah ..it did that to me a couple of times when I was at Lock Haven.

..do you really wonder why some animals eat their young..
confused.gif
banghead.gif

Anyway ..it never happened since (either condition). I just figured a valve got stuck momentarily.

Sounds like a great excuse to install some auxillary filtration and/or cooling if you ask me.

The GM 4L60E has a tendency to "slip" from a stop occansionally. I've heard the same complaints on this board as well as Chevy Truck World. My 2004 has done this only twice when I came to a momentary stop from a high speed. Its as if the tranny shifts slowly back to first. If you wait just a little longer at a stop, you'll feel the tranny engage into first and you'll be fine.

and break the sun cluster.. not cooling or fluid related. ok tranny just not beefy enough for heavier use. everyone i know with a suburban has been though at least one if used moderately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back