Transmission oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the best tranmission oil you have tried, and why?

Did you notice more smoothness, or better response from using a particular brand?

M.

It's hard for me to tell, but just based on the higher level of antiwear additives, I will run Redline ATF in anything automatic tranny it meets spec for. I don't run it in my motorhome as there are dire warnings of not running the EXACT spec, but for the Aerostar (92) I have Redline D4 in the tranny and like it. Shifts nicely, but not sure if that it the Redline. It did not shift as well before and I had been running a makeshift shift kit, which I finally took off and found it shifts nicely without the kit now. So maybe the Redline did improve the shifting. I just would not want to bank on it.

Originally posted by TallPaul:
[QB] It's hard for me to tell, but just based on the higher level of antiwear additives, I will run Redline ATF in anything automatic tranny it meets spec for. I don't run it in my motorhome as there are dire warnings of not running the EXACT spec, but for the Aerostar (92) I have Redline D4 in the tranny and like it. Shifts nicely, but not sure if that it the Redline. It did not shift as well before and I had been running a makeshift shift kit, which I finally took off and found it shifts nicely without the kit now. So maybe the Redline did improve the shifting. I just would not want to bank on it.

Check out Specialtyformulations.com. It is a site sponsor and offers a variety of tranny fluid, both ATF and manual. I understand they are some top notch fluids and I may be trying out their SyncroGlide in my manual tranny F150 eventually as it is notchy and some 1st gear grind if not careful (that on Redline D4 but I think it is as much the tranny is somewhat worn).

Over the years, I have become convinced that synthetics are more important to use in transmissions than even in engines. Many of us, at one time or another, have had transmission problems, which caused us to embrace the added protection synthetics offer. I started using them in my engine and transmission in 1978. I started using Eon, which became Ultron, which was acquired by Exxon and, as you know, marketed in Europe.

Having tried many synthetic gear oils and ATFs over the years, I believe Amsoil Synthetic ATF is the best. Next in line is Mobil 1 ATF. However, I need Mercon V for a 2000 Taurus, with a high performance Duratec engine and AX4N transaxle combo. Dyno hp is greater, shifting is smoother, more precise, and fuel economy is better than the Pennzoil Mercon V I was using. Similarly, since I live in Texas, the transmission runs cooler with Amsoil than it did with Pennzoil. A friend of mine, who used to haul steel in his Ford F-250 diesel with an automatic transmission all over Texas, told me about Amsoil 7 years ago. He had used Mobil 1 ATF, but preferred Amsoil from his experience. Many BITOGers love to bash Amsoil, particularly G-Man II, but I've had nothing but great results with many of their products. Having been to engineering school and having worked on cars, trucks, and motorcycles all my life, I feel my advice is better than most. In my Ford's automatic transmission and power steering I use Amsoil ATF. In my 1993 Civic, with a manual 5-speed, I use Valvoline SynPower 10W-30. I have used Mobil 1 10W-30, but the Valvoline product is smoother shifting and quieter. Since you mentioned transmission oil, I was not really sure if you were interested in ATF, gear oil, or other. Hope this helps.

I agree with the above, people worry too much about every ppm of wear metals that appear in their engine UOA's. But how many cars die an early death due to engine failure? Not too many. Most of the time the body rusts to pieces first.

Lately it seems that people have become convinced that it's normal for an automatic transmission to be replaced 2 or 3 times over the life of a car. At $2-5k a pop it's simply unacceptable. If you want to keep your car as long as possible, concentrate on extending the life of the transmission.

The recipe I've come up with that works for my cars is:
-Amsoil universal ATF. No set flush interval, I just drain the pan and refill whenever the fluid starts to darken.
-Amsoil BE-90 bypass filter tee'd into the cooling circuit and flowing 0.5 quart/min. Element changed every 125,000 miles. 2 years may be more appropriate for private use cars.
-an auxillary cooler on any car that can't keep it's ATF temp below 200F.

Modern transmissions have hundreds of moving parts and the smallest amount of dirt or wear particles in the ATF can cause them to malfunction. Over-heating the fluid just once can glaze the bands and cause slippage and/or shifting problems. With the recipie above I've covered all the bases and reduced my transmission failure rate to zero.

From what I know, one of the main benefits of synthetic ATF is its resistance to failure under high temps. Thus helps relieve one of the major killers of transmission failure. High heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back