Transmission mount change from OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced all 4 engine/trans mounts on the Sedona today with OEM parts. Two of the engine mounts had available updated part numbers, with minor changes to the mount itself. The other two mounts, including the trans mount, only had one part number available. The original mount that came out of the van had an aluminum casting, but the OEM replacement was steel/iron, and a good bit heavier (not complaining about that). However, this steel part is the only one you can purchase, from the research I've done. Even the aftermarket ones are steel. Just thought this was odd and have never come across this before. Usually for parts like this, the OEM replacement looks the same as the original, unless there is an updated/changed part number, which was not the case. Anyway, all 4 went in smoothly.

Steel is cheaper.... and the auto manufacturer doesn't have to maintain light weight with replacement parts for listed new car specifications.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Steel is cheaper.... and the auto manufacturer doesn't have to maintain light weight with the replacement parts for listed new car specifications.

I thought this was a possibility. Although one of the other mounts, which had an updated part #, was and still is cased in aluminum.

The aluminum part may have been overproduction of OEM parts for dealer stock replacement parts. Once these parts run out, and demand is still high, parts are then made to a different criteria, if it makes sense to do so.

The original aluminum ones may have had issues with stress cracking on that particular mount. I have no idea, just a thought.

While changes to replacement parts may be due to cost (steel replacing aluminum) or need (steel's strength vs. aluminum) let's not ever forget that a car company might have "awarded" a part contract based on cheap price. What a company had on hand or what their machining capabilities are etc.

We know car makers don't always "do the right thing". ....just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back