Transmission Longevity With Dex VI and Toyota WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning the thinner (more shear stable) Dex VI and Toyota WS auto transmission fluids....., has there been testing or studies performed to determine how long a late-model transmission will last compared to those that use more viscous fluids (which tended to shear more)?

Over on the club lexus forum a guy sent his 80,000 mile WS fluid to Blackstone and it needed changing. Was lsoing viscosity at that point. I did my wifes Lexus at 82k miles.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Concerning the thinner (more shear stable) Dex VI and Toyota WS auto transmission fluids....., has there been testing or studies performed to determine how long a late-model transmission will last compared to those that use more viscous fluids (which tended to shear more)?

I have many papers on transmission fluid and AT transmissions and all tests show better performance over more shifting cycles with the modern LV fluids than with the older higher viscosity fluids.

There is no formula as to how much longer they would be in service without failure since there are so many variables.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
....all tests show better performance over more shifting cycles with the modern LV fluids than with the older higher viscosity fluids.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Do we also know if the LV ATF's will adequately protect the heavier bearings in auto transmissions?

Trust that LV ATF's will result in lower transmission fluid temps in a similar manner as lighter high-quality engine oils do.

Quote:
Do we also know if the LV ATF's will adequately protect the heavier bearings in auto transmissions?

The phosphorus, Boron, and the other specialized AW's in the addpack do a good job of preventing wear. Keping the fluid clean and changing withing 50k or less keeps the additives fresh.

If you pull any loads, then an oil cooler ahead of the radiator is a good thing to have, since extended temps are what kills ATs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back