Transmission flush question - Hyundai says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai allows owners to have access to their service manuals through their website and it is quite nice. I was looking at the transmission section of the service manual for the Hyundai Entourage minivan and this is what they had to say about flushing the Transmission fluid if you do not have a machine. What do you think, is it safe to allow the fluid to completely come out while the car is running?

1 Disconnect the hose which connects the transmission and the oil cooler.
2 Start the engine and let the fluid drain out.
Running conditions : "N" range with engine idling.

CAUTION
The engine should be stopped within one minute after it is started. If the fluid has all drained out before then, the engine should be stopped at that point.

That is interesting! You would think that would be a bad thing to do or at least that your pump would lose its prime. I wonder if you can do this with all A/T's ?

Many of the newer transmissions no longer contain external heat exchangers.

There was an article in ATRA's Gear Magazine about the dangers of running a pump dry, as apparently some rebuilders didn't prefill the pump during transmission assembly and wound up with damaged pumps.

Volvo had a similar procedure. Connect the outlet hose to a clear plastic hose and put the other end in a plastic milk container. Pump out 2 quarts into the milk container and add 2 quarts thru the dipstick tube. Continue this 2 quarts at a time until the old dark fluid runs out and you see new bright red fluid in the clear plastic tube. It took me 3 gallon containers and the new fluid replaced the old. Just pump out 2 quarts at a time and replace with Hyundai ATF.

On my FORD, I remove the line that comes back from the cooler, and into the transmission, so that I flush the transmission cooler lines also.
No problem as long as you don't leave it running after the fluid stops coming out.
I stop when it slows significantly or if I would see a lot of bubbles appear in the discharg hose.
I use a clear hose (available at hardware and home improvement stores) in a size larger than the lines on my vehicle.
This way, I can see the fluid, bubbles, etc that are coming out.

I keep track of how much comes out each time....and shut off the engine when the flow slows......add new ATF of the specification called for in the same amount that came out.
Then I repeat this process.....over and over.....until I have used a few quarts more than the total capacity of the system.

Originally Posted By: wiswind

No problem as long as you don't leave it running after the fluid stops coming out.

I agree. I've done the "pump-out" on a few GM transmissions. The hose you are draining from will start to spit/sputter when the trans pumps starts to catch air. I know on the last 4L60E I did, it blew the hose right out of my container. With an idling engine, you'd have to let the trans run dry for a long time to do permanent, noticeable damage to the pump IMO. My take is don't fear the DIY pumpout.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: wiswind

I agree. I've done the "pump-out" on a few GM transmissions. The hose you are draining from will start to spit/sputter when the trans pumps starts to catch air. I know on the last 4L60E I did, it blew the hose right out of my container. With an idling engine, you'd have to let the trans run dry for a long time to do permanent, noticeable damage to the pump IMO. My take is don't fear the DIY pumpout.

Joel

I agree. I did a flush on my Tundra a few weeks ago and it only took about 45mins. It was easy with some help of the misses to start and stop the truck.

I did that to my Tacoma although some thought i allowed too much fluid to be pumped out. To this date she shifts good as new. I did 4 qrts at a time.

If one only does a few QTs at a time, won't old and new fluid mix in the pan? Seems it would be better to run the AT until one sees bubbles, then shut it off and add what had been pumped out?

Of course this is the same problem a flush machine would have also, so maybe its not really a problem.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I did that to my Tacoma although some thought i allowed too much fluid to be pumped out. To this date she shifts good as new. I did 4 qrts at a time.

hey did you use the return line from the cooler to the tranny? if so where is that [censored]?? lol!!..

I don't recall the transmission model #, but I have a 2005 Chevy Classic with the 2.2.

Would this procedure apply to my car as well?

I would love to be able to change fluid without dropping the pan.

Pumps won't lose their prime.
And, I haven't found a transmission that couldn't be flushed through the cooler line. An ATF flush machine wasn't the work of some genius. The genius is the one that patented it. The flush machine simply made the procedure SIMPLE and less messy.

Those fancy things, called drainplugs, do a pretty good job too. Too bad many automakers don't install them everywhere.

i wont find out if my pump wont lose its prime. i wont pump out no more than 2 qts at a time. it takes more time but alteast ill feel better about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back