Transmission Fluid Temp Gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I rented a Pontiac Grand Prix yesterday. I was fooling with the little information display on the dash and it had a few interesting displays.

-Battery voltage
-Engine hours
-Oil life remaining
-Transmission Fluid temp.

I was really surprised by the ATF fluid temp. I was bummed that there was no engine oil temp reading. Can it be programmed to display the engine oi temp?

While driving in 70-105F heat the ATF temp varied from 190 to 228F. While on the flats on the freeway it would hover around 200F, then when climbing a hill on the freeway it would rise 20-30F pretty quickly. Interesting.

I have a 2005 Grand Prix as a company car, with the same display you mentioned above.

I really like the OLM. I'd like to see it in my Toyota and Infiniti. As for the tranny temp readout, I average roughly 194 to 227 degrees F from May through September, depending upon my type of driving.
If that readout is anywhere near as accurate as GM claims it is, then 30k miles would be the max for the ATF, at least the OEM stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:

While driving in 70-105F heat the ATF temp varied from 190 to 228F. While on the flats on the freeway it would hover around 200F, then when climbing a hill on the freeway it would rise 20-30F pretty quickly. Interesting.

The TC lock-up clutch probably unlocked on the grade so you were churning the torque convertor.

If I owned that vehicle, i'd put a supplemental oil cooler for the tranny on it.
Those temps. are normal for modern cars, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back