Transmission Fluid Life Algorithm

A timer would be easier. The odometer also works pretty well. And, some people like UOAing the ATF.

I always wonder why engineers want to make everything more complex than is needed.

Bust your brain reading that?

Actually, I think a patent attorney wrote that.

But a timer would not be as accurate as the algorithm.

grin.gif

quote:

The bulk oxidation model was developed by subjecting ATFs to an Aluminum Beaker Oxidation test (ABOT) at 140° C., 150° C., 155° C., and 160° C.

160 degrees Celsius is not high enough. ATF temps vary by where the fluid is in the trans. In some Acura CL and TL models, ATF reaches 350 degrees Celsius near the clutches, yes it is Celsius. At that temp, fluid breakdown would be faster.

quote:

Originally posted by thrace:

quote:

The bulk oxidation model was developed by subjecting ATFs to an Aluminum Beaker Oxidation test (ABOT) at 140° C., 150° C., 155° C., and 160° C.

160 degrees Celsius is not high enough. ATF temps vary by where the fluid is in the trans. In some Acura CL and TL models, ATF reaches 350 degrees Celsius near the clutches, yes it is Celsius. At that temp, fluid breakdown would be faster.

now I understand why they have tranny probs in Honda minivans

Ford 4R70Ws and AODEs have a nasty tendency to overheat the torque converter clutch. I found a dissected view and it was just one gigantic clutch ring around the flange plate of the TC... Anyhow, Ford engineers said that 160F-170F was the preferred temperature.

Don't confuse instant temp vs average temps. Most transmission have very high ATF at wear points. The good transmissions have sufficient ATF flow and cooling to deal with it.

Its simple to see why a clogged ATF cooler or a low ATF level can seriously shorten the life of a transmission.

I think its really saying to follow your OEM recomendations? But I'll have to read it all again and run thru the math to be sure. HA

Cant believe someone really thought that up and typed it at some point in their carrer. I'm an ME, and I'll change carrers before I get that nuts.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
I figure it would just be faster to just change the tranny oil than read that thing.

lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RinconVTR:
I think its really saying to follow your OEM recomendations? But I'll have to read it all again and run thru the math to be sure. HA

Cant believe someone really thought that up and typed it at some point in their carrer. I'm an ME, and I'll change carrers before I get that nuts.

No, the article/patent described the operation of the Transmission Fluid Life Monitor.

Well, I found that info via a google search. Apparently, it was typed up so the info may be submitted for a patent. Thus, some of, or a lot of it, may have been written by an IP attorney.
wink.gif

Here are some more patents if interested:

Back