Transmission Filter/Raised or flat inlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Just did a AT fluid/filter change on my 2012 Golf 2.5L Base w/the Aisin TF-60SN transmission. (26K and the fluid was dirty w/lots of fine metal shaving on both magnets. Would have done this sooner had I known...) Anyway, changed out the OEM filter w/an Advanced Auto FK-390 kit. This is a flat inlet type of filter. The OEM filter was raised and slightly different in shape. Napa sells a kit w/raised inlet type of filter (#15642) Now it has me thinking....should I change out the flat inlet filter for a raised type of filter like the OEM filter had? Logic is telling me I should just in case fluid level is slightly on the low side. (I did 2x drain and fills and it could use one more fill. So not much extra work removing pan and installing a new filter again.) Or is everything fine and dandy and no worries? Am I overthinking this? Thanks, Bill.

The OEM AT filter/strainer on line goes from $68-90! It's bad enough the local VW dealer charges $5 for a simple crush washer for the drain bolt! (A larger diameter, same type of washer from Toyota dealer is under $2.) Why didn't Aisin/VW not install a good old fashioned dip stick?! Not an impossible job but sure is a little messy. Car shifts MUCH smoother now. BTW, used Toyota Type IV ATF. (Was going to use Mobil 3309 but dealer had a case of Type IV for $60.)

You could probably drive around on half the ATF fluid that it's rated for as long as you don't slosh it on curves. The filter maker designer accounted for slosh and you're fine.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back