Transmission cooler towing 8500# with f150

2012 f150 5.0 coyote v8
Currently only has trans cooler inside the radiator tank.

I could add a small cooler inline with factory.
Or I could eliminate the factory cooler and only run with this.
Suggestions? What do you think?
Screenshot_20230601_125204_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Are you having cooling issues? These transmissions are thermostatically controlled.

I am not too familiar with the Ford side of things, however in many cases the factory transmission cooler isn't just a cooler it is also used to help warm up the transmission fluid in cold weather.

So it is my preference to run an aftermarket cooler inline to the factory cooler.

I’ve added several coolers to various cars over the years.

For those with a radiator tank heat exchanger, I take the output from that, to a thermostat, then to a filter, then back to the transmission. From the thermostat, route to your cooler.

That way, transmission fluid gets warmed or cooled (depending on input temp) by the radiator exchange, and if it still needs some cooling, is routed to the cooler. In cold weather, or just with cold fluid, the cooler is bypassed so the fluid can warm to the proper temperature.

For a thermostatically controlled transmission, just route the existing lines to the new cooler. Some radiator heat exchangers have leaked, causing fluid contamination. Your aftermarket cooler handles the cooling needs of a thermostatically controlled transmission while eliminating that potential failure point.

For the cooler itself, the plate type seems more compact, effective, and damage resistant, but costs a bit more than tube and fin. Those are what I’ve used the last four or five times.

That one that you posted has lots of area, though, so, if you can fit it, I’m sure it’ll provide plenty of heat transfer.

Are you having cooling issues? These transmissions are thermostatically controlled.
Yes trans has thermostat.
I haven't towed anything with the truck, therefore no cooling issues.
However, towing 8000lbs in the middle of July...

I use a F250 7.3 powerstroke tranny cooler in my 98 F150. I just bypassed the radiator lines altogether.

You could easily add the stock stacked plate cooler (4 channel) or better yet the stock middle east stacked plate cooler (10 channel) or aftermarket Raptor cooler to your truck with very little modification.

Here's an easy option with the input lines in the right places. Just add it in-line with the radiator cooler there now:

Stock Raptor/Middle East cooler:

Installation info:

Plenty of options that fit directly onto your truck in the stock location.

Yes trans has thermostat.
I haven't towed anything with the truck, therefore no cooling issues.
However, towing 8000lbs in the middle of July...

Was it not rated to tow that weight?
Isn't Florida a really flat state?

Guessing you are doing overkill here...and introducing leak paths IMHO.

Refer to the Ford towing guides. Any F150 towing over 5000lbs for the 2012 model years requires a tow package. Either package to meet this criteria comes with the extra trans cooler.

I had an '04 F150 that came with the small, non trailer tow cooler at the time. The bigger cooler was a direct swap in part.

You may find that to be the easiest option - find the factory cooler and any needed parts and drop in...

2012 f150 5.0 coyote v8
Currently only has trans cooler inside the radiator tank.

I could add a small cooler inline with factory.
Or I could eliminate the factory cooler and only run with this.
Suggestions? What do you think?
View attachment 158926
This has been discussed over and over again in some of the F-150 forums and the general consensus there is to not use an aftermarket cooler but if you really think that you need a bigger cooler then use one of the larger ones made (by Ford) for the F-150s that come with the HD Towing package. IIRC Ford makes two, four and six tube model coolers and they're all interchangeable and they all fit in the same location in front of the radiator and they all fit into the same brackets. Most F150s owners are satisfied that the coolers that come on their trucks are adequate unless they're doing some VERY severe towing.

I'm pretty certain that some of the OBD monitors will report the transmission fluid temperature. I would mount one of those and see what temperatures you're encountering before replacing the OEM cooler.

What about an aftermarket larger oil pan? I tow with my Cummins Ram and added an AFE transmission pan. Holds ~4 more quarts of fluid and has fins for cooling. This way there is no breaking into the system plumbing and risking a possible issue.

Just my $0.02

This has been discussed over and over again in some of the F-150 forums and the general consensus there is to not use an aftermarket cooler but if you really think that you need a bigger cooler then use one of the larger ones made (by Ford) for the F-150s that come with the HD Towing package. IIRC Ford makes two, four and six tube model coolers and they're all interchangeable and they all fit in the same location in front of the radiator and they all fit into the same brackets. Most F150s owners are satisfied that the coolers that come on their trucks are adequate unless they're doing some VERY severe towing.

I'm pretty certain that some of the OBD monitors will report the transmission fluid temperature. I would mount one of those and see what temperatures you're encountering before replacing the OEM cooler.
If there is an OE option the fit will generally be better and easier so is a good bet. Nothing against the aftermarket ones but an OE purpose built one should suffice.

Back