Transmission Controls. The Dial a Matic seems to be the next trend.

I am seeing the dial control more and more on new car reviews replacing the traditional lever. What are your thoughts on this? I am sure the manual shifters are gritting their teeth.

Not a huge fan of the knob, but don't outright hate it either. The Maverick that I've been driving now and then has it and....ehh. What bothers me more about that particular vehicle is that there's no way to select or lock-out gears. All automatic, all the time, doesn't care what you want. Thankfully the shift logic is very good.

For most drivers, it's not really an issue besides the fact that it's change.

If you need to shift correctly under stress, gross motor skills (lever) stick around long after fingertip dexterity (dial) have left the building.

I was hoping to see the push button come back.
my uncle's 2 Lincolns (2017 Continental, 2019 Nautilus) both have push button controls left of the radio.
2017LIC010001_640_11.jpg

2LMPJ8L98KBL46092-2019-Lincoln-Nautilus.dp.110.4x3-2560x1920-4K.1668068038.jpg

Not a big fan, but since there 100% electronic anyway might as well get it out of the way.

I am still waiting for the manual 3 in the tree to make a return.

Fca has been using the rotary dial for a while and so has ford. I like them. Hopefully it makes more room for cup holder holders

I think one or more of the new BMWs has a toggle shifter.

With electronics replacing linkages and cables you could have most anything to do the job. Maybe a touch screen selector?

I am seeing the dial control more and more on new car reviews replacing the traditional lever. What are your thoughts on this? I am sure the manual shifters are gritting their teeth.
(n)(n)

Earlier this year I had a newish Ford Fusion with this style of gear selector. Also drove a friend's new Ranger 4x4 that used this thing. It doesn't fit my driving style or personality. Of course, I'm now using a 6-speed auto that allows me to manually choose the gears. I really like that option.

Nope, not for me. Console shift only if I can help it, I hate column shift with a passion! Rotary knobs or push buttons are just asinine!

I always thought console shift automatics are a waste of space, Why does a Toyota Corolla need a shifter taking up what little room available in the center console?
Pick-up trucks might even be a worse offence in my opinion, If I remember correctly the first fullsize truck I ever saw with a console shifted auto was a '04/'05 F150....Talk about form over function.

Back