Transfer Case Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just bought a 2014 Ford F-150 5.0L FX4
He's coming home for Christmas and while he's here we're gonna do some fluid changes

Anybody know of a good transfer case fluid ?
All I've found is MC and Valvoline
Not saying their bad

Just looking for options
Thanks guys ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Which transfer case does the truck have? If the truck has "4A" as an option on the 4WD knob the transfer case should specify Mercon LV.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Phone the dealer with the VIN and find out what type.

It's transfer case fluid
Not Mercon LV type

If it has the 4wd auto option avoid Mercon V. The clutches have a tendency to break down over time with Mercon V. Anything, including mercon LV is fine otherwise. My 2016 has redline D4 in the transfer case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
If it has the 4wd auto option avoid Mercon V. The clutches have a tendency to break down over time with Mercon V. Anything, including mercon LV is fine otherwise. My 2016 has redline D4 in the transfer case.

This model requires
Transfer case fluid not Mercon LV

Originally Posted by kstanf150

This model requires

Transfer case fluid (XL-12) was discontinued. Mercon LV is recommended now. You could also use Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid. Maxlife ATF would also be fine, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as the "transfer case fluid", the spec sheets match anyways. Maxlife is recommended for Mercon LV applications. Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Transfer case fluid is discontinued as shown. Mercon LV IS recommended.

This model requires

I was glad to hear that Ford superseded all it's transfer cases to the LV.
My 15 year old Ranger's transfer case was sluggish so I did a drain & fill using Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV.
Now the TC clicks into and out of selection smartly.
The old fluid was DARK dark red.

tcp71

Owners manual left out the footnote of transfers case fluid gona be discontinued soon in the future.

702016F4-449B-4421-9EE4-250C7B53ED5F.jpeg

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid, XL-12 was replaced by Mercon LV in all applications about 2 years ago give or take.

First I've heard of it. I'll probably continue to use dex/merc that has worked fine in part time transfer cases for 40 years.

This model requires

DO you know understand that just about any Low Viscosity (LV) ATF will function in that transfer case?

I have two quarts of SuperTech DEXRON VI/MERCON LV which is going into my Z71 transfer case. I'm sure Maxlife ATF is a good choice also.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

This model requires

DO you know understand that just about any Low Viscosity (LV) ATF will function in that transfer case?

DO you know understand 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Apparently a few on here did understand my opening question. Didn't ask about LV fluid I ask if anybody knew of another good transfer case fluid besides MC or Valvoline because that's what's printed in the owners manual OK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back