Trans work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to my background I am extremely observant while driving my car. Recently noticed a very slight delay in my 2-3 shift. At normal speeds most would not even notice this, but I did.

I also believe in being proactive rather than waiting. So I saw my German trans guy and we drove around with the scan tool for a while. The diagnosis was worn clutches on 3, the trans had the pressure jacked to the limit trying to complete the shift quickly.

So I got a rebuild. But no ordinary one. My trans guy is an old E55 owner who I met at the strip! I got EVERYTHING he knew in my slushbox. From valve body updates to bending the pump ears down, every trick he knew. All friction parts replaced with top quality aftermarket stuff. Too much to even list.

Then I topped it off with a Paramount Performance 3400 rpm stall converter. Note that this trans has infinitely variable lockup in 2-5, so there's no slip. Just smooth luxury car responses until you hit the pedal.

Wow. This converter is unlike any I have ever had from Protorque, TCI, B&M, etc. Even my wife approves, as the car still slurs around town at 1500-2000 rpm just like stock...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
How many miles when it was rebuilt??

+1. And what was the cost?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Stoked that you are happy with your purchase.

E55 ?
http://www.e55chargers.com/

That's much cooler than what I'm pretty sure SteveSRT8 was talking about, given that his car has a NAG-1 trans.
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W211#E55_AMG_.282003.E2.80.932006.29

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds interesting! Will it help at the strip much?

Others with the same car and converter have got up to .5 second if (and it's a big if) you can hook it up. The car was already difficult to launch!

Almost exactly 100k miles. Remember this car has over 200 dragstrip passes and dozens of road course track days all over the country, plus a ton of fun play on the rural roads out here where I live.

This wasn't a need, it was much more of a want...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. And what was the cost?

PM sent

What mileage did the 722.6 start to fail at? They are pretty durable, I'm kind of surprised. Did you ever change the fluid?

Rebuild should run around $2,500-$3k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds interesting! Will it help at the strip much?

Others with the same car and converter have got up to .5 second if (and it's a big if) you can hook it up. The car was already difficult to launch!

When they announced the Hellcat with the Torqueflite-8, the forums were all abuzz about how no one would EVER be able to launch the thing with such a wide gear ratio spread, or how the rear end would have to be so tall that you'd only use the first 3 gears at the strip, the NAG-1 cars would probably be faster in the quarter mile, etc... Actually, people were saying that just about the 392 SRT cars with the TF-8, nevermind the Hellcat.

Well, apparently the "launch control" mode works really, really well, given the published track times... ;-)

Sounds like an awesome rebuild. Nice to know that even the modern stuff can benefit (sometimes a lot) from careful attention to the hardware.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is this a NAG1? Guessing it is since it was a German car mechanic?

I finally drove one and I liked it.

My car is a very early production model with a real German trans and rear end straight out of the AMG parts bin. It wasn't until mid to late 06 that Chrysler got Kokomo up and running to build the NAG1 variant...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What mileage did the 722.6 start to fail at? They are pretty durable, I'm kind of surprised. Did you ever change the fluid?

Rebuild should run around $2,500-$3k.

No failure, the average guy would never know anything was wrong, the trans has fantastic adaptives that allow it to compensate for a lot of things.

The fluid was changed every 30k miles, the filter was done every other time. As stated above, it had almost exactly 100k miles on it. Note that the car has never had a set of tires last over 19k miles, it has been DRIVEN, and used hard.

And I paid quite a bit less than your quote, this guy is my buddy. I hope no one is offended but I am not willing to discuss pricing, as I do not believe in it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Sounds like an awesome rebuild. Nice to know that even the modern stuff can benefit (sometimes a lot) from careful attention to the hardware.

Truly some amazing work. Remember this is a luxury sedan with every option, first and foremost our comfy cruiser, extremely quiet and smooth. The guys work was flawless, and the car drives almost exactly as stock...

I can appreciate your over sensitivity toward your vehicles characteristics, I am the same way. Glad the rebuild is working out for you, the rebuild in the Uplander has proven to be less than stellar.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I can appreciate your over sensitivity toward your vehicles characteristics, I am the same way. Glad the rebuild is working out for you, the rebuild in the Uplander has proven to be less than stellar.

Thank you.

I am sad to hear that you are not finding the same success. My local trans shop that I use for fleet vehicles gives us a lifetime warranty if you just let them service the vehicle once a year. Better luck on the next one...

Interesting, my friends super charged Jag had a 722.6 fail around that mileage.

Typical of MB transmissions they seem to be hit and miss, I know a number with almost no service and deep into the 6 figure range that are fine. Like anything they seem to last the longest on the lower HP cars.

If it was maxed out on the pressure for the number three shift it was done, the only difference is you caught it early and did it before the car had to be towed in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Typical of MB transmissions they seem to be hit and miss, I know a number with almost no service and deep into the 6 figure range that are fine. Like anything they seem to last the longest on the lower HP cars.

I seriously doubt you know many cars with the extensive track use and dragstrip passes that this car has. I have owned at least one very high performance automobile since 1970, and absolutely none of them ever held up as good as this car has. Not a one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back