Trans fluid in the crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. Tranny fluid has less detergents in it than engine oil does. Don't know who came up with the idea that tranny fluid was full of cleaning detergents.

No harm, MMO would have been a better choice, but
21.gif

kerosene would be better and cheaper IMHO. Pour a quart in - wait for an hour. Pour another one - wait for an hour... do it 3-4 times to loosen up the deposits.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Correct. Tranny fluid has less detergents in it than engine oil does. Don't know who came up with the idea that tranny fluid was full of cleaning detergents.

I know right. There is always someone on every car forum promoting ATF for an engine flush. Ridiculous.

hmm well i have a ? that could go somewhat along with the OP ? ... i have a extra QT of "Pennzoil GearPlus SAE 80W-90 GL-5" Oil left over from when i owned a truck. I'd like to use this oil instead of getting rid of it. My car can't use it and I have or know anyone to give it too. Would it be ok to use a little bit of this at a time in my car's motor oil? Maybe say 25% or 50% of a QT per OCI ...

Originally Posted By: IDOX
hmm well i have a ? that could go somewhat along with the OP ? ... i have a extra QT of "Pennzoil GearPlus SAE 80W-90 GL-5" Oil left over from when i owned a truck. I'd like to use this oil instead of getting rid of it. My car can't use it and I have or know anyone to give it too. Would it be ok to use a little bit of this at a time in my car's motor oil? Maybe say 25% or 50% of a QT per OCI ...

Id just save it for a rummage sale or use it up to lube door hinges....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back