Trans fluid for BMW M3??

Transmission is from a late 90's (E36) M3. I'm partial to Redline MTL, personally. Redline's site recommends D4 ATF for the application, but I despise the idea of putting ATF in a manual gearbox. Simply doesn't protect the synchro's. I see some people are running Royal Purple SynchroMesh, but I've enver trusted RP products. IMO, just like Mobil 1 - overstated, and underperforming. FYI, factory recommended fill is BMW's MTF-LT2.

So. Any recommendations? Doesn't need to be long life, it'll get changed every 30k tops. Thanks!!

Hi,
you can use a well specced ATF with great confidence!

Castrol's US range will include a suitable ATF - Castrol's gear fluids and ATF are amongst the very very best available

ATF has been used in German manual gearboxes (MB for example) with great success for well over 50 years that I know of!

I know it's far from a BMW but my sons 91 Ranger 5 spd has 335,000 miles on it and the tranny has always had M1 ATF in it.
Overstated and under performing? I don't think so.

I would not put a standard ATF in that tranny based on this:

Quote:
Manual Transmission,Yellow Label......GLS [1]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

[1] MTF-LT-1, BMW part no. 83 22 9 408 942 from
model year 2004 some manual transmissions are filled with
MTF-LT-2 manual transmission fluid, except SMG Transmission
in 2006 and later M3, M5, M6. 2006 and
later Z4 M Coupe/Roadster Require MTF-LT-2 fluid
MTF-LT-2 which has the same properties as MTF-LT-1.

Just give the MTL a shot.

I am currently running Mobil synthetic ATF in my 2000 Z3M manual trany. Shifting has been ok but the 5th gear shift pin is starting to stick after one year with the M1.

I just ordered some Amsoil MTF to try based on many positive recommendations on BMW forums. I hope to avoid having to pull the tranny for shift pin replacement. The Amsoil MTF is a bit thicker than ATF. Royal Purple Syncromesh fluid is also well regarded.

Check out this thread for extensive information on this topic:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076268

Warm weather, 70-120f, use MTL, otherwise use straight RL D4 which works well until it gets notchty (after 15K). BMW fluid works the best, but you just can't get it for DYI. I have a Dinan e36 98 M3 Sedan with 140K and this what I do.

Most E36 transmissions spec ATF. Some spec another specialty fluid, and those are the ones in which you can use the manual transmission lubes. We have to be sure which one this is.

Hi,
Pablo - Be careful to ensure the right MY and driveline is specified!

BMW's gearboxes as I recall in the year's range mentioned by the OP could be from a number of sources, Getrag or ZF to name two. Some perform best on the likes of Castrol's R Synthetic 10W-60 or a fluid meeting the OEM specifications

The BMWs I have owned including a 2.8 Z3 (Getrag) always performed best on a fully synthetic ATF

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Castrol's US range will include a suitable ATF - Castrol's gear fluids and ATF are amongst the very very best available

Doug,

Do these comments apply to north american castrol gear oils as well?

I know sometimes there are different product lines, but I'm hoping the answer is yes because as it happens, castrol is one of the most readily available synthetic gear oils in my area.

I have it in mind for the final drive of my k1200s motorcycle.

Hi,
Jim 5 - I expect so. have a look at their specs. PM me if you wish. I always used their fluids in my Bimmer bikes with great success!

I think they have a renamed Transmax Z ATF in their NA line up - it is a very light green

This one is a ZF box from a late 90's M3. The car is a '93 325 that started life as an automatic, and was 5 speed swapped using all M3 running gear. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
True enough, but the OP wrote:
Quote:
FYI, factory recommended fill is BMW's MTF-LT2.

Pablo,

Not sure what factory fill was when it was made, but the current BMW spec'd fluid per BMW for this transmission is the MTF-LT2.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...hg=83&fg=06

#2: Oil for manual transmission MTF LT-2 5000ML 1 83220309031 $219.72
only applies to

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Warm weather, 70-120f, use MTL, otherwise use straight RL D4 which works well until it gets notchty (after 15K). BMW fluid works the best, but you just can't get it for DYI. I have a Dinan e36 98 M3 Sedan with 140K and this what I do.

My E39 has a ZF 5-speed. In the dead of Toronto-area winter it was still shifting fine straight from cold. You certainly don't need to limit its application to 70F or higher in BMWs. I would just try it.

I will also note that I have recommended Amsoil MTF to customers over the years and they are very happy with it.

Amsoil MTF

It's a bit lower viscosity than MTL (9.6 vs. 10.6 @ 100°C), ie closer to ATF and works well in cold and hot. I searched my records and Amsoil simply has not evaluated the MTF for this tranny so does not make a recommendation in the look up guide.

Atlanta GA has a relatively warm climate and short winter, so I would have recommend going a little thicker.
I would consider the BG Syncroshift II, Redline MTL, Wynns TC/MTF, Amsoil MTF, or any synchromesh fluid.

Torco MTF and RoyalPurple Synchromax are the same visc of ATF.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

My E39 has a ZF 5-speed. In the dead of Toronto-area winter it was still shifting fine straight from cold. You certainly don't need to limit its application to 70F or higher in BMWs. I would just try it.

Of course nowhere in this actual post did I mention that this was while running RL MTL....
smirk2.gif

If you like Redline, then the D4 ATF is actually the correct fluid for this trans (just as Redline suggested). It's the same viscosity range (within tolerance anyway) as the factory fill. I've heard of some folks running MTL, but it'll be a bit harder to shift. Some have had issue with the Redline needing more frequent changes than the OEM BMW fluid.

You could run the OEM BMW fluid. It's good stuff. The BMW stuff can be mail ordered for about $30 per liter from online discount BMW parts stores, or you can try an OE alternative made by Pentosin who does supply some BMW factory fluids) for ~$20 per liter.

Back