Trans filer failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
On saturday I did fluid and filter change on my 08 Ram 1500 with a 545RFE. The truck only has 34,500 mi on it. The 545RFE has 2 filters, a traditional pan-type and a spin on that's inside the pan. The pan-type two halves started separating. The bottom half is metal and it's edge is rolled over and crimps down on the plastic top half. It was the original MOPAR filter. Sorry I don't have any pictures I have failed all of you. What could have caused this? I'm the second owner got the truck in August with 19,000 on it. I know the original owner and he never towed or overloaded or plowed and I have only towed an ATV a few times. I think it was a defective filter and probably started separating quite some time ago. Any thoughts

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
That's why I only buy all metal transmission pan filters.

That may not be an option in many applications.

Sounds like a defective filter to me...stuff happens. At least you are on top of maintenance and caught it!

I'm just happy my trans has two filters so I can sleep at night
27.gif

Manufacturers defect plus always being submerged in liquid would be my guess. I have the same transmission. I recently had my filters done when I had the solenoid pack replaced. It sounds like you caught it before something really bad happened!! Good thing you changed it!

yep sleep well... probably a defect filter

on my 05 the fuel gauge quit working and when i replaced the gauge/pump/filter assembly in the fuel tank I found the OEM assem. had broken its plastic supports and was hanging by the wires in the fuel tank. Just glad it didnt leave me on the side of the road
smile.gif

one reason why OEM is not always better. my replacement from rockauto had beefer supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back