Tranny Flush as Condition of FORD ESP Warranty??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had an interesting discussion with my local Ford dealer's Service Manager. I have an '07 Expedition with 65K miles, and the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP); the "Premium Care", highest coverage/cost plan. It'll be good to 96K miles.

The guy told me that, as a condition of the ESP coverage, I MUST have the tranny flushed every 30-35K, or they won't cover any problems I may have in the future. :yikes:

I don't remember reading anything about that in my contract, and I'd hate to think the guy is giving me a bum steer, but something sounds fishy..
confused2.gif
29.gif

Dig your contract out and reread it,but on the other hand not a bad idea if you plan on driving the thing in the ground.

You need a dang lawyer with you when you sign these service contracts. I think you do have to do the flush every 35K, that is what the Premium service plan states for my Altima.

Pretty sure they go along with the schedule in the owner's manual.

And the word "flush" isn't in their vocabulary. Probably "change transmission fluid and filter".

Our recent purchase of a 2010 20,000mi Fusion states somewhere in the manual that the trans is "totally maintenance free" & to remove the pan will nullify the warranty. I have concerns.

That's pretty hard to believe. Can anyone verify that?

Typically the owners manual is the ONLY legally accepted source for maintenance info. Everything else is just bunk.

And dealers are notorious for selling unneeded services. It's just what they do.

To my understanding a flush today is different from a flush in the past. In that its a passive setup where the transmissions pump pumps fluid out and draws new fluid in. So there is never any pressure greater than the transmission would see in normal operation.

So buy enough quarts of Mercon LV and do a cooler-line flush with some fittings and extra hose. Save the receipt, and if anything happens show them the receipts showing the purchase of the Mercon. That along with fresh-looking fluid should be enough evidence that the flushes were performed.

Originally Posted By: willix
The 2010 warranty guide schedules Fords TorqShift transmissions to be flushed.

The Expedition does not use a Torqshift, its a 6HP26 trans.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
So buy enough quarts of Mercon LV and do a cooler-line flush with some fittings and extra hose. Save the receipt, and if anything happens show them the receipts showing the purchase of the Mercon. That along with fresh-looking fluid should be enough evidence that the flushes were performed.

Using the LV would void his warranty, since that trans takes SP. In the supercession of SP to LV, it excludes this transmission and the 6R80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back