Tranny Fluid for 1992 Chevy WorkVan W 4.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Questions. Sorry, but I do not know much about Chevy engines or trannies. My brother bought a 1992 Chevy work van with 138,000 miles and there was no manual. The trannie fluid was brown and very stinky. Looks like the original fluid.

1. What type of trannie fluid does GM call for? I assume that it is Dexron.

2. What type of power steering fluid does GM call for? No idea. Fords usually use Mercon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
wink.gif

Your choice of Dexron-III ATF. If he plans on keeping this truck for a while, an Auto-Rx cleaning of the engine, transmission, and powersteering would be money well spent.

Doesn't the powersteering use Dexron ATF? If so, I'd get a quart or two of synthetic ATF for this.

Ken

Dexron III for the trans, power steering fluid for the steering. GM doesn't use trans fluid for their steering like Ford does.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the steering fluid. Just top it off if it's low. With the trans fluid, you might need to do a couple changes to get the fluid back to where it consistently looks good.

MolaKule, could you elaborate. With all due respect, I've been in and around GM vehicles all my life, since my dad is retired GM, and have yet to see one that used ATF in the steering.

My 1986 Suburban and 1992 Suburban used DexIII in PS. 1970 Nova 350, used Dexron III in PS. The 1992 Suburban is nearing 300,000 miles with Dexron III in same PS pump.

Are you referring to the differing GM part numbers for ATF and PS?

The formulations of Dexron III and most PS are almost the same.

The exception are the Honda PS fluids.

Thanks for the follow up. I wasn't aware that GM ever spec'd Dex III for any power steering units. I know for sure my '00 Monte Carlo specs PS fluid. I can't speak to the official recommendations of previous vehicles, but have always used PS fluid, perhaps the manual stated differently.
dunno.gif
I do know the fluids are very similar.

quote:

GM doesn't use trans fluid for their steering like Ford does.

Most GM vehicles use the same fluid for PS and Auto trannys. It is a Dexron III equivalent.

Have your relative get a Haynes or whatever shop manual. Makes life a lot easier.

The tech data sheet for Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid does a good job of breaking down power steering applications by vehicle. "Chevrolet trucks and vans 1979-2000" is listed under their power steering fluid column. No Chevy trucks are listed under either the Dex/Merc or Type F columns except for Chevy Luv (we're still talkin' about power steering systems).
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/Specialty/pdf/PowerSteeringFluid.PDF

This site suggests that "All Chevrolet, GMC trucks 1982-2001" use Dexron III for the tranny:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:aDnWKgaokj8J:www.johnryoungco.com/pdf/PZL_MultiVehicleAutomaticTransmissionFluid.pdf+dexron+automatic+transmission+fluid+applications+chevrolet&h l=en

I'd put a broad-application power steering fluid in the PS unit, and Dexron III in the tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back