Training a 22 old male to drive/non family member/insurance issues???

I talked to state farm and they said he would be covered as long as I am in the car and for training purposes only. He needs his training permit, which he has.

I always think it's a good idea to post questions asking for advice in various situations. You want to be an "educated customer" rather than going in totally oblivious. When you go in knowing nothing at all, you'll totally be a prime candidate for getting bent over. Being the educated customer, asking intelligent questions and looking like you know what you're talking about will keep you from getting hung out to dry.

I am trying to help train my daughters 22 year old boy friend to drive. He is staying with us as he has had issues and my wife and I are trying to mentor him to get his life going in the right direction. He came from the city, so he had no need to drive and both parents are out of the picture. He passed the written exam today. My worry is the cheapest car to train him is my daughters ( my car/has full coverage) 2013 Mazda 3- $11,000 car. As not being from my family, how is my State Farm going to see him driving this car with me in it for training, what if we get into an accident? I am leery to call State Farm to ask, as I worry they will increase my rates just for having a unlicensed male in the household that has access to the car. Is there someone who has done this or is an insurance agent who knows how they handle this kind of situation? He has to wait 3 months till he can take the driving test in the State of Minnesota.
Read you policy completely. No one here can tel you because the dont know what policy you have. I am a licensed All Lines Adjuster with 15 years experience and I always check every policy to check coveages. Any advice you get here is not advice but speculation. You said you spoke with State Farm, who did you speak with, did the pull your policy, did they check for endorsements? All insurers must provide you with a copy of you policy which is essentially a contract. I urge you to read thebpolicy you signed and pay for.

Read you policy completely. No one here can tel you because the dont know what policy you have. I am a licensed All Lines Adjuster with 15 years experience and I always check every policy to check coveages. Any advice you get here is not advice but speculation. You said you spoke with State Farm, who did you speak with, did the pull your policy, did they check for endorsements? All insurers must provide you with a copy of you policy which is essentially a contract. I urge you to read thebpolicy you signed and pay for.
I am going to look at the policy as it was an office lady, who knows if she is right. State Farm could care less what she says, they only care what the policy says.

In NJ, all licensed drivers in the household need to be on an insurance policy. I don't know that you can add an unlicensed driver to a po

My policy reads this way too but the only penalty is if a higher-risk driver isn't declared *and is the one to get in a wreck* they won't pay out.

Obviously, declare everyone who's going to drive.

There are people who won't let their kids get licenses because the insurance will be too expensive, but then you get what we have in this thread, a 22 year old who's playing catch-up. Get your kid a license, don't let them use it, decide if you'll declare them, then in 5 years when they do need a car they suddenly have a 5-year old license with commensurate lower rates.

I am neither a lawyer nor insurance professional.
Similar situation happened with me. My son got his license at our insistence when he was around 19 but he had no desire to drive at all. As a result, and knowing he would not be behind the wheel, I never informed my insurance company thinking I didn't need to. Regardless, in about two weeks we got a bill and a new policy declaration showing him as a secondary driver on the "best" car in the family. I called the insurance company and explained that he would not drive at all so they took him off the policy and sent us a waiver form to complete informing us that he/we would not have coverage with him as a driver until we informed them otherwise. Pretty simple process. With certain things in life, I'd rather be upfront about it and not have to worry about consequences after the fact. I do wonder though, knowing he has been declared as a non-driver, will they treat him as a new driver when the time does come when we do declare that he will be driving even though he has had a license for multiple years?

Back