Training a 22 old male to drive/non family member/insurance issues???

I am trying to help train my daughters 22 year old boy friend to drive. He is staying with us as he has had issues and my wife and I are trying to mentor him to get his life going in the right direction. He came from the city, so he had no need to drive and both parents are out of the picture. He passed the written exam today. My worry is the cheapest car to train him is my daughters ( my car/has full coverage) 2013 Mazda 3- $11,000 car. As not being from my family, how is my State Farm going to see him driving this car with me in it for training, what if we get into an accident? I am leery to call State Farm to ask, as I worry they will increase my rates just for having a unlicensed male in the household that has access to the car. Is there someone who has done this or is an insurance agent who knows how they handle this kind of situation? He has to wait 3 months till he can take the driving test in the State of Minnesota.

If he's on a learners permit it's your license that counts. Check your policy-- read it-- it will talk about licensed drivers. You can call customer service with a "what if" question.

Policy should read "licensed members of your household" so if his legal residence is your place (or he's there most of the time) once he gets his license you'll have to declare him.

Internet advice < reading your policy.

In NJ, all licensed drivers in the household need to be on an insurance policy. I don't know that you can add an unlicensed driver to a policy.

I would specifically ask your insurance how they cover third party drivers and learning drivers. I presume there will be more leniency for learning drivers in the event of an accident if there is a covered policyholder in the vehicle as the "teacher"

I've called another insurance agency's with questions like that before. Atleast in Ontario, they are all selling the same policies so any of them can answer your questions.
I think technically, the insurance company is only interested in the number of licensed drivers in a household who "regularly" drive your cars.
For a few lessons with you in the car, I'd just use my own insurance and we'd get the story straight that he isn't living at your house,(unless he's using your place as his home address?) in case the worst happens.
I'm almost 100% sure I wasn't insured separately on my parents policy before I was licensed to drive alone.

Let us know their position on adding a non-family member who lives in your household. I'm curious. I guess maybe a nanny or daycare person for any children would be treated the same way? Not sure.

Best to contact another agent from another company and pose the question. Fish around like you're thinking about being their customer. I know you're trying to do the right thing, but it's going to be your ⚾⚾ in a vice if something happens.

I wonder if he can use a Driving School to learn, instead of using your vehicles.

While it's the wrong time of the year, a motorcycle safety course is a great way to learn vehicle dynamics. Along with some seriously strong training on how to look for cars that can squish ya.

In NJ, all licensed drivers in the household need to be on an insurance policy. I don't know that you can add an unlicensed driver to a policy.
My policy reads this way too but the only penalty is if a higher-risk driver isn't declared *and is the one to get in a wreck* they won't pay out.

Obviously, declare everyone who's going to drive.

There are people who won't let their kids get licenses because the insurance will be too expensive, but then you get what we have in this thread, a 22 year old who's playing catch-up. Get your kid a license, don't let them use it, decide if you'll declare them, then in 5 years when they do need a car they suddenly have a 5-year old license with commensurate lower rates.

I am neither a lawyer nor insurance professional.

You need to get your policy out and read it being particularly sure you understand the definitions (all of them). Pay special attention the the terms resident, resident relative, household.

Assuming he has a learners permit the bigger issue is probably that he lives with you vs the permit.

However this is why you have an agent, the time to rectify any coverage issues is now, not after something happens, go sit down with the actual agent.

You need to call your agent, not ask questions like this on the internet. It's not that people will give bad advice or not try to help, it's that insurance policies simply differ enough that no one can accurately answer. Also, the rules can vary on a state by state basis.

I do think the fact that he's unlicensed makes it simpler. The stickler will be where is his legal residence ? I know you say he is staying with you but that could be a grey area (and help .... at least if you were in Ohio).

Since he doesn't have a license, he's not a licensed driver.

I don't think driving schools have to add every student to their policy, though they might have a special policy related to the school.

I wonder if he can use a Driving School to learn, instead of using your vehicles.

While it's the wrong time of the year, a motorcycle safety course is a great way to learn vehicle dynamics. Along with some seriously strong training on how to look for cars that can squish ya.
This.

Don't they have driving schools in your area/state? :unsure:

Also, completing a driving school will also help with insurance rates. If you have to add him or tell your insurance about him, and even after he gets his own license and his own insurance, insurance will be much less if he completes a driving school.

If you're lucky, you can even find a driving school with a manual transmission ;)

i think it'd be best to consult your existing agent. they handle your insurance not us so much. Also wait 3 months? that's ridiculous and does he have a learners permit?

Cant you just drive far away and let him get his nervousness and fear over with away from traffic and such. That's usually the hard part. Once you're not insecure you do a lot better immediately.

But the bigger question is if you should be doing all of this to begin with. Sounds like it could amount to a huge mistake and he could just leave whenever. He's in your house flushing your toilet, not mine but I'm just saying.

This is not a question for us keyboard cowboys to answer.
Call your insurance provider (not the agent you purchased the policy from) and review your particular policy with the insurer.
Have the insurer tell you what the rules are for your particular policy.
There may be a blanket law for your state or it may vary policy to policy.

It would be best to get a letter in writing from the insurer stating the requirements/rules for the policy you have purchased.

This is not a question for us keyboard cowboys to answer.
Agree

Call your insurance provider (not the agent you purchased the policy from) and review your particular policy with the insurer.
I might agree if it was an independent agent - it isn't.

Have the insurer tell you what the rules are for your particular policy.
There may be a blanket law for your state or it may vary policy to policy.

It would be best to get a letter in writing from the insurer stating the requirements/rules for the policy you have purchased.

The policy is the contract, The policy is the letter telling you the requirements.

*Start out in empty parking lots
*Teach him where the brake pedal is
*Tell him to touch the gas pedal as if there is an egg under it
*Show him how to adjust the mirrors especially the outside mirrors
He’ll need to get a feel of an automobile and the Mazda3 is a good starting vehicle

Okay, that’s enough for one day o_O Trust me, he’ll be overwhelmed with that.

Back