Trailering my boat from RI to DE

I just picked up a new boat trailer in NJ, went up the Garden State Parkway to I95 over the GW and then into CT and then RI. The boat will be loaded this weekend onto my trailer.

Maybe it's just me but the toll booths on the Garden State Parkway seemed very narrow for my empty trailer. The toll booth for the GW were no better.

With the boat loaded, I don't want to scratch the boat going through a narrow toll booth not being perfectly in the center of the lane.

The beam of the boat is 8'6".

I definitely don't want to go over the GW. That whole area is a mess.

Is there a route planner that will plan an easy route with no actual toll booths or wide ones?

Use ezpass express lanes.

I don’t know that GSP is particularly narrow. Since it services all the shore towns, folks have been trailering boats through those toll booths forever. There used to be a lot more intermediate tolls that were 35c each.

Best I can think of is after you get out if RI, go across CT westward. That will avoid the whole NYC thing. Use the I-84, and take that to PA, figure where it hits the NE extension of the PA turnpike. Take that all the way to the bottom, and you’ll hit I95 south of Philly. Then take 495 when you get to the DE line. Not sure where in DE you’re heading...

Look at it this way, semi trailers are 8'5" wide and go through those booths hundreds of times/day. We pull our Airstream through toll booths often and yes, it looks very tight, but there is always at least 12" on either side and our Airstream is 8'6" wide. The key to success is to go slow.

Back