trailer wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a little beat up utility trailer to haul trash to the dump and atv's out to the desert. i dont want to deal with a burned up wheel bearing so i pulled it apart to clean and pack the bearings. could not find the seals at the auto parts store so i went to a trailer place.

got my seals and the guy was really pushing his trailer wheel bearing grease. said any other grease wont work.

i planned on using a tub of valvoline moly wheel bearing grease. the same stuff that ford wants in my front wheels on my pickup. i figured that if its good enough for ford its good enough for a trailer wheel bearing.

why wouldnt it be ok to use since i already have it?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
this guy was freaking out about my grease. maybe whoever sells the most grease gets a steak dinner?

Then I seriously doubt he was an expert on wheel bearing grease. You story reminds me of when my mom bought a new riding lawn mower a few years ago. The salesman made the pitch that lawn mower engines MUST have non-detergent oil. His pitch was so good that she didn't believe me when I told her that the mower needs a detergent oil. You should have seen the look on her face when I opened up the operator's manual and showed her what oil Briggs & Stratton recommended. I should have called up the store and had a talk with the manager, but I'm sure it wouldn't have done any good.

Even cheap all purpose grease will work on trailer wheel bearings. The valvoline u already have is more than perfect for this application.

I doubt wheel bearing grease is a big mover these days. Maybe that is the reason for the pressure. What was he peddling anyhow?

When ever I do bearing work(not often) I always use valvoline synpower.. What you have will work fine.. if it works in your pickup(which sees more action) it will work great in a trailer, probably overkill.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I doubt wheel bearing grease is a big mover these days. Maybe that is the reason for the pressure. What was he peddling anyhow?
some brown grease that said trailer grease. looks just like the stuff i washed out of my bearings before i repacked them

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bvance554
some brown grease that said trailer grease. looks just like the stuff i washed out of my bearings before i repacked them

Trailer grease? That is... Awesome. Lol! You did go to a trailer store, looking for grease for your trailer so it does make perfect sense.

Any wheel bearing grease will be fine. Only time you need a special grease is when repacking on a boat trailer.

Quote:
Even cheap all purpose grease will work on trailer wheel bearings.
Wellll.....trailers too often have really skimpy running gear for the load they carry, and the bearings are too often cheap Chinese specials. I think they need top quality grease, of which there are many brands. I think we all agree, the salesman at the trailer shop either didn't know what he was talking about, or he was lying to get a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back