Trailer tires: known brand or higher load rating?

@Elkins45 , what is weight of loaded trailer w/ boat and how far out do you drive to take the boat out?

Upgrading to 14" wheels might be a pita regarding up front investment, but if you plan on keeping boat for awhile, it might be worth while.

Consider keeping an eye on FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc for a good set of used 14" wheels.

Many people buy new travel trailers/boat trailers and upgrade to new fancy aluminum wheels, and they will sell their original steel or basic aluminum wheels. More than likely if you can source some, there would be a good chance they have little or no mileage on them.

Local boat or tire shops may even have a sets of 14 inch "take-offs" from a new trailer their customer upgraded. You might can score some for 1/2 of normal new price.

Even a cheap set of used steel 14" wheels can be cleaned up and a couple of coats of Rustoleum will make them look new again.

Just my 2 cents..
Trailer + boat fully loaded is max 1500 pounds, but I will drive 800-1000 miles to lakes in Florida a couple of times per year. I think looking for a set of wheels might be a reasonable thing to do.

@Elkins45 , what is weight of loaded trailer w/ boat and how far out do you drive to take the boat out?

Upgrading to 14" wheels might be a pita regarding up front investment, but if you plan on keeping boat for awhile, it might be worth while.

Consider keeping an eye on FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc for a good set of used 14" wheels.

Many people buy new travel trailers/boat trailers and upgrade to new fancy aluminum wheels, and they will sell their original steel or basic aluminum wheels. More than likely if you can source some, there would be a good chance they have little or no mileage on them.

Local boat or tire shops may even have a sets of 14 inch "take-offs" from a new trailer their customer upgraded. You might can score some for 1/2 of normal new price.

Even a cheap set of used steel 14" wheels can be cleaned up and a couple of coats of Rustoleum will make them look new again.

Just my 2 cents..
thanks, this turned out to be solid advice. I found a set of four 14” steel trailer wheels still with the factory stickers for $75.

So, an update: I bought a set of 14” steel wheels to replace the 13” factory wheels with the intention of mounting Goodyear Endurance tires. The tires are on their way but I’m not certain I have enough spare room under the plastic fenders for maximum travel without bumping the top. I won’t know until I stick them in there but I’m hopeful because they’re only about an inch taller.

If they don’t fit my plan is to either lift the fenders with some homemade brackets if possible. If not I can flip the axle and gain at least 4” but I don’t know if that’s the smartest move. The kit is only $65 but it’s not the cost that bothers me. It’s the effort.

Back