Trailer park for billionaires

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
TLDR:

"An off-market listing for an 800-square-foot oceanfront Montauk trailer is in contract to sell for a record $3.75 million, which equates to a cool $5,000 per-square-foot, The Post has learned."

"In the past year alone, and apart from the previous record sale, at least 10 mobile homes there have sold between $675,000 and $1.4 million. And trailers closer to the beach are even more expensive."

Trailer Park.JPG

I've always failed to understand what draws people to live on the water. I'd be especially curious to know what would draw somebody to pay millions to live in a mobile fire trap just to be close to an ocean that's been irradiated, full of garbage and too cold to swim in. Real estate has turned into pure insanity.

I've always failed to understand what draws people to live on the water. I'd be especially curious to know what would draw somebody to pay millions to live in a mobile fire trap just to be close to an ocean that's been irradiated, full of garbage and too cold to swim in. Real estate has turned into pure insanity.
Could be worse:

In seriousness, wife and I have debated uprooting and living on a coastline or within walking distance of a beach. Like the idea of being able to take the kids to the beach after school or a run on the beach in the morning, etc. rather than just a vacation or weekend thing. I'm not an ocean swimmer or beach lounger but I enjoy walking on the water. I can see the appeal, but I'm not price shopping on Montauk either.

Yes, this is Long Island Real Estate.
Always amazes me, born, raised, spent most of my life there. Great times, great friends and wow, when I say great times (meaning I lived through them *LOL*) but I bailed out 15 years ago. Its doesnt matter your income the standard of living isnt that great for what you get other then traffic congestion and maybe bragging rights to an income that buys you nothing but high taxes in modest homes.
Anyway, here is the full story! Amazing ...

Yeah I get this, pretty amazing too! Though these areas are in prime "city" areas and would be more equal to condos I think in NYC.
Still I am amazed by your post dont get me wrong but not a direct comparison being the CA homes have facilities, HOAs, ect and outside a prime city. https://mobilehomesmalibu.com/listing-report/All-Mobile-Home-Listings/889861/

The Long Island Location is a rural area that takes well over two hours drive from NYC and only one way to get there at the tip of Long Island. Well, I guess you could Helicopter possibly plane into MacArthur Airport or Seaplane.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a Nelson Demille novel about that? It was pretty weird, as I recall.
Sounds more like a Dean Koontz novel.

EDIT: I see what you're saying. Plum Island is a DeMille crime novel involving the murder of biologists working at the Plum Island facility. Plum Island is not a good place to visit.

Last edited:
Back