Trailer hitch of all things turned me off from reconditioning this 2007 Honda Fit

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Thought this 2007 Honda Fit could be a future project. A lot not to like, but all looked refurbishable if I could purchase for a few hundred dollars.

What turned me off, was the trailer hitch. At over 200k miles, and by the look of things the car was deeply abused/ neglected, the trailer hitch and thinking this tiny Honda was used as a tow vehicle- was enough to tell me to pass.

How do you approach something like that interior? Super good clean? new upholestry?

I think that would be the turning factor for me versus any mechanical abuse.

How do you approach something like that interior? Super good clean? new upholestry?

I think that would be the turning factor for me versus any mechanical abuse.
New upholstery, all new seats and carpet at a minimum. The vehicle is a Honda, so mechanical abuse does not pay as big of a role when compared to a US nameplated vehicle.

I have a Daughter in law that never drove and lives in a major city. She is learning to drive, and I thought something like this could match for a first time driver in a large city. Of course, my Wife will overrule me and want her to have something "cute".

I won't win, but I decided to bid $250 on the Fit. The car is just 15 miles from me.

Here is what a $250 winning be costs ($498).
  • Bid Amount$250.00
  • Buyer Fee$120.00
  • Internet Bid Fee$39.00
  • Service Fee$79.00
  • Environmental Fee$10.00

You most likely made the proper decision by bypassing this Fit. I say that not because of the trailer hitch. That's a class I hitch with a 1.25" receiver tube and it just simply won't support much in the way of tow loading.

I'd be more concerned with the overall lack of care this car received during its abused life. Hopefully you find something a bit better maintained for your daughter-in-law.

New upholstery, all new seats and carpet at a minimum. The vehicle is a Honda, so mechanical abuse does not pay as big of a role when compared to a US nameplated vehicle.

I have a Daughter in law that never drove and lives in a major city. She is learning to drive, and I thought something like this could match for a first time driver in a large city. Of course, my Wife will overrule me and want her to have something "cute".
I can appreciate the amount of potential work. Having pulled the entire interior out of my Tahoe, cleaning 15 years of sins and rebuilding broken/worn items. It is a chore and a half. Perhaps not as bad on a smaller car, never the less, a lot.

Reactions: GON
You most likely made the proper decision by bypassing this Fit. I say that not because of the trailer hitch. That's a class I hitch with a 1.25" receiver tube and it just simply won't support much in the way of tow loading.

I'd be more concerned with the overall lack of care this car received during its abused life. Hopefully you find something a bit better maintained for your daughter-in-law.
Came across a unbelievable (potential) opportunity on a 2013 Storm damaged small Cadillac SUV with 51k miles on it, and a buy it now price of 2k. I don't "watch" Cadillacs, so I missed the SUV when it went to auction yesterday. The SUV did not meet the Sellers (insurance co) reserve, so it went to a Buy It Now. The SUV was sold when I went to do a history report. That would have been a likely good buy, the issue is in a major city and a new driver, the Cadillac would have looked like the Honda Fit in a few months.

Came across a unbelievable (potential) opportunity on a 2013 Storm damaged small Cadillac SUV with 51k miles on it, and a buy it now price of 2k. I don't "watch" Cadillacs, so I missed the SUV when it went to auction yesterday. The SUV did not meet the Sellers (insurance co) reserve, so it went to a Buy It Now. The SUV was sold when I went to do a history report. That would have been a likely good buy, the issue is in a major city and a new driver, the Cadillac would have looked like the Honda Fit in a few months.
I wouldn't have gotten her the SRX
You wanna do timing chains on a 3.6 LFX?
Or GDI injectors 😖
I kinda learned to drive in a 2012 SRX Performance, but I wouldn't have wanted to own one
Good thing it was a lease
Far better than the last CTS or XT4 we've had 😮‍💨

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Probably just used the hitch to have a place to mount bikes.
Possibly. What is that hitch rated for and what kind of trailer weight is the Fit rated for? Is there any wring for trailer lights? If not, then the hitch probably was a bike rack or something similar. Look at where the hitch attaches to the body and see it caused any bending in the sheet metal, etc.

But 230,000 miles?? And it looks like it been sitting a damp environment for a LONG time! This looks like a bucket load of dried out seals and electrical problems to me. As well as being just plain worn out at 230k miles.

Looks like it sat in a damp driveway under a bunch of trees with the windows open for 3 years.... The hitch might be the only good part left! ;) I think I see its still got the paint on the inside of the receiver so it wasn't used much.

That kind of neat that you can bring a car that looks like than back into service though. I'd think you'd have to replace some brake lines and cable, brakes all the way to calipers? I guess you have less salt there so maybe its not so bad?

I won't win, but I decided to bid $250 on the Fit. The car is just 15 miles from me.

Here is what a $250 winning be costs ($498).
  • Bid Amount$250.00
  • Buyer Fee$120.00
  • Internet Bid Fee$39.00
  • Service Fee$79.00
  • Environmental Fee$10.00
They should be paying you the environmental fee for that nasty interior lol

Back