Trailer Brake Controller Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I need to purchase a trailer brake controller for my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 and would like some advice.

1) I am not brand particular, what brands should I be considering (Reese, Curt, etc.)?
2) I want a good quality one, what brand has the best technology?
3) I want one that integrates / installs easy. My truck has the harness built in so if the controller integrates / installs easy that will move it up the choice list.
4) Cost is important but the least important of my criteria.

Thanks,

Marc

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy that is six years old, and it has worked out well. Recommend you look at the current Prodigy to see if it meets your needs. I suspect it will.

I second the prodigy, inerta braking is soooo much better than a cheap timed unit that will lock the tires on occasion. I use one with my jayco TT and it works great. I have mine under the steering wheel bottom of the dash.

Last edited:
Prodigy. I use Primus which is made by Tekonsha. It is a step below the Prodigy and works just as well.

Here is the difference.

There are quite a few differences. The ones you can see easily on the outside are the display and control buttons.

The P3, part # 90195, uses a multi-color LCD to provide more information where as the Primis IQ uses basic LED numbers like what you would have on your digital alarm clock. The P3 uses a rotary lever on the underside for a manual over ride where as the Primus uses the older slide design that some people have problems with the slide sticking depending on how they grip and operate the slide. The P3 has several buttons on the face for adjusting settings and navigating through the menus. The Primus IQ uses a dial and one button to adjust settings.

The biggest differences are on the inside. The P3 has software and circuitry with far more capabilities than the Primus IQ. The P3 can be used with electric over hydraulic trailer brake systems. It also has advanced diagnostic abilities to help you troubleshoot problems with the brakes and brake wiring like shorted magnets or loose wires. They both use accelerometers to detect how hard you are braking, but the P3 uses a little more advanced version. You can mount the P3 straight up, straight down or anywhere in between, where as the Primus is limited to a range of 0 degrees to 70 degrees nose up.

My Primus was 30 bucks cheaper and has worked awesome with my 35 foot trailer. Anything made by Tekonsha is an excellent brake controller!

I used a Prodigy in my two previous trucks. My current truck has a built in controller so no aftermarket controller needed,otherwise I'd still be using a Prodigy.

All,

Thanks for your replies. I am definitely leaning to the Tekonsha P3 at this point. It is on sale at etrailer for $159 right now.

RV dealer installed a Curt Triplexxx TripleAxis? Triple[something] on my truck last month. It's an inertia-type. Works well from what I can tell. adjustment for max limit (to avoid locking up) and for sensitivity. It's intelligent enough to know if the brakes are connected and checks for faults, though I'm not sure of the specifics. The case is sturdy and pretty compact. The squeeze bar feels sturdy.

Only drawback I've found is that it's so small, fishing for it beneath the dash while driving is awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back