Trading in my cheap 9mm for a better backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my first handgun was a Hi-Point C9 which has been working pretty good except recently the accuracy has gone a little haywire and the elevation screw broke. I got sick of it and laid down the dough for a Beretta 92FS. The gun is great but right now our Hi-Point is known as our "[censored]" gun, and when I take it to the range with my wife, she asks why I brought it - you know, like "that worthless thing".

So, don't judge here because I'm not looking to spend a whole lot for my back up, but just something a step up that shoots well and is reliable. I'm also looking for a little bit of a smaller frame for carry, right now I carry the Beretta and I can do it but not comfortably.

My choices have been narrowed down a bit to what I looked at the other day in the gun shop. I'm going to trade my Hi Point and have already gotten a quote from this gun shop, and I feel its fair.

I'm mostly deciding between a Kel-Tec PF-9 and a Smith SD9VE. Totally different animals but I love the feel of a full size pistol and I hear the Kel Tec is not fun for range time. I'd like to shoot this at the range as well. They are literally within $50 of each other, the Kel Tec being cheaper. The Keltec felt good in my hands and has a crisp trigger. It's so small I could probably carry it in my shoe, lol. The Smith seemed to be small enough for me to conceal with only a little discomfort. I like everything about this gun except for the trigger. It's long and brutal. My other option is to find a revolver but did not find any there within my price range. My price range is $350 or below. They had a used Kahr CM9 but I did not like the feel of it. I realize it is a good gun.

Remember this is a secondary gun, I already have a Beretta.

Any other suggestions under $350 would be helpful, thanks.

Ixnay on either of those. Look at the Smith&Wesson Shield, Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR, Smith 442, Smith 642, Taurus 85, Smith bodyguard 38, Ruger LC9, walther PK380 or PPK. All are close to your price range and are better in my opinion. I've shot or owned all the above, including the keltec. Keltec gets it right about 50% of the time. Their guns need to go back for work more often than not.

I've thought about maybe trading it for a 22LR pistol too. The LCP I wasn't a fan of, the LCR I liked but don't really want to get a different caliber.

I'll check out the Shield, but if I remember right it was priced around $499.

Man, I'd stay away from both the PF-9 and the SD9VE. If I were looking for a low cost backup I'd spend a little more... and start with Ruger... Lots of options in 9mm; P95, SR9, SR9C, LC9. If that doesn't strike your fancy, the Kahr CW9 or S&W Shield, maybe a used baby Glock even. I'd shy away from the super low cost Smiths, Kel-Tecs and Tauruses (er, Tauri, or whatever the plural of Taurus is : )

Last edited:
KelTec PF9 would be my pick out of the two. IIRC, both are rated for +P ammo so "duty" ammo would not be a problem.

Food for thought, contact KelTec & find out if the new PF-9 is rated for +P+ ammo because you can push the 9mm terminal ballistics up towards the 357 Sig territory if the gun can handle +P+ loads, which has a sizable advantage in 1 shot stopping power.

Another excellent alternative which is slightly above the 350 budget would be Springfield XD-Compact 9mm. It is fairly common knowledge that XD 40 mags works in 9mm & hold more rounds, so a 40 cal XD mag that was designed to hold 12 can easily hold 15 rounds of 9mm.

You've already revealed a clue which puts you leaps & bounds above most shooters when you mentioned one feels good in your hand & that you shoot it well !! I would rent a few to try out and go with the one that you shoot best.

Last edited:
The Beretta 92 is a fantastic gun. But it is large, so you need a smaller carry gun.

I bought my Shield for $375 new. I bought my Glock 26 for $350 slightly used. Just keep an eye out, there are decent deals out there.

And I wouldn't worry about another caliber. The lightweight snub nose revolvers aren't too fun to shoot. Just get proficient with it and then carry it.

I have a baby Glock(26), PF-9, KelTec P-11 and some 380 & 45 pistols. I find the PF-9 most useful for daily carry. I have fluff & buffed it until I am satisfied with the reliability. It is no Glock, but it seems to fit my needs well. The trigger is great on mine.

My P-ll trigger is tragic. Can't seem to make it better. But I like the feel of this pistol so it is kept around.

The Glock is great, but what a brick. It is the winter clothing choice.

I think it really comes down to what fits your hand and concealment options.

I haven't been in the market for a few years, so don't know the newer or better options.

Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
Glad to hear you are getting rid of a HiPoint though! IMO that's a glorified Saturday Night Special.

Haha! You know, I would never say that it's a "bad" gun, and I hear people say they'd rather use a shoe than a Hi-Point - but in all fairness it has been pretty decent so far. It is worth what you pay for it though, which can be both good and bad.

I just find it silly to own since it's too heavy to carry, regardless of it being a "compact" model, and it shoots left and at least a foot low beyond 7 yards. I can hit bottles and cans with it, but on paper I have to point off target to get it within the 2 innermost rings. Ridiculous.

I just want something fun to shoot, comfortable to carry, and reliable/accurate. A lot to ask under $350 but I know there's good pieces out there.

I believe you can get the LC9 for $350 on sale. Can't think of anything better for that price.

Fun to shoot and comfortable to carry don't necessarily go together.

don't buy the sd9ve, or any of the s-w "sigma" guns. if you want a smith, get a M&P series gun. don't cheap out with the "sigma" series.

I remember those Sigmas had the worst trigger of any guns I've ever shot.

Most people don't know this, but Smith & Wesson very nearly went bankrupt twice from competing for government/military contracts. Needless to say both times they failed miserably. But the MP Series shows more promise than any pistol they've made.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
don't buy the sd9ve, or any of the s-w "sigma" guns. if you want a smith, get a M&P series gun. don't cheap out with the "sigma" series.

Last edited:
Hipoints have place in the wold. They are my have one in every vehicle and quad gun. Get dirty out riding..so what? They shoot fairly well for what they are.....

I'd go for a used Springfield XD-9 compact 9mm. In my opinion they are some of the nicest shooting pistols. For what it's worth I have gun nuts in my family with 10+ pistols an they have all fallen in love with my XD9.

What is good for one person is not necessarily a great fit for another. Here are ones I have carried(in summer clothing when its harder to conceal)

Walther PPS
Walther PPK/S
Bersa Thunder 380 (great gun for the price)
Hungarian Surplus PA63 (alloy frame Walther PP copy in 9mm Makarov)
Mauser HSc
S&W 3906

A used Walther PPX is a top notch pistol that may be worth looking into for not much more than $350. New ones can be had for about $480 so, you should be able to find one. Ergonomics on the grip are amazing and operation is solid.

Always remember whose life is dependent upon your decision, then proceed. I had to do without some meals out, but my carry gun was in excess of 800.00 over 10yrs ago. Its twin has gone over 70K rounds without a malfunction.
You have to decide what fits you best and will DO THE JOB you want it to do.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back