Trading in my cheap 9mm for a better backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GenSan
Beretta Nano would be my suggestion for you.

I've had two and they both sucked. Beretta dropped the ball on them. Poorly designed extractor causes numerous failure to extracts.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I had to do without some meals out, but my carry gun was in excess of 800.00 over 10yrs ago.

I can agree with this. I live by the buy once, cry once mantra. Save up a little more to get the gun you really want. My usual everyday carry is a Smith & Wesson 340PD (scandium j-frame .357) with crimson trace grips. Cost nearly $1000, but it is super light weight and I absolutely love it.

Other than Robenstein mentioning the PA63, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Russian made Makarov. They're a good size, light, and for me, they're a good fit in the hand. The only issue is ammo being either hard to find in a B&M store, or unimaginably expensive in those stores. I think I've had mine for a decade, and with the East German grip, it's fairly thin for concealed carry. I do recommend the upgraded (stronger) main spring, I had a few jams before I put the new spring in. Other than that, it's great.

The trick is to find a Makarov that is not beat to death. The prices have creeped up but if you can get a Russian or Bulgarian Makarov you can get a nice gun. But with all recoil used guns, replace the recoil springs ASAP. Did this on the PA63 and the Walthers and never had it jam, not even with [censored] steel case ammo. I remember somewhere seeing that the recoil spring should be replaced every 2k rounds or so to assure you dont beat the frame to death.

zerosama- I have no recommendations to make for what pistol to get, BUT: since the Kel Tec PF9 is one of your original contenders & you like the feel of it, there's a forum you may want to visit: thektog.org

Lots of info on all things Kel Tec & it's been around for years.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'd go for a used Springfield XD-9 compact 9mm. In my opinion they are some of the nicest shooting pistols. For what it's worth I have gun nuts in my family with 10+ pistols an they have all fallen in love with my XD9.

I really should have said I don't like Springfields. They do not fit my hand well, they never have felt right. Great guns i'm sure, but I'll shy away from those. Sorry!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'd go for a used Springfield XD-9 compact 9mm. In my opinion they are some of the nicest shooting pistols. For what it's worth I have gun nuts in my family with 10+ pistols an they have all fallen in love with my XD9.

I really should have said I don't like Springfields. They do not fit my hand well, they never have felt right. Great guns i'm sure, but I'll shy away from those. Sorry!

I feel the same way. When I was looking for a polymer frame pistol I just hated the feel of the Springfields. Went with a Steyr M9A1.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I wish more of those guns were available here it seems we have limited choices plus the cost here is way higher.
There are deals on handguns here, you just have to look for them.

You said you want something that shoots well and is reliable. As far as I'm concerned, the keltec PF9 is neither and I speak from experience. Bought one for my wife, brand new. First time at the range, after only 20-30 rounds it jammed due to failure to eject. It has so much recoil it was ridiculous. Sold it and bought her a Glock 19, 9mm. I carry a full size Glock model 22 .40cal most of the time and also have a Glock 23 .40 and all three shoot great and are super reliable. While a new Glock is above your price range, I have seen nice used ones on Armslist for around $400-$450. Although I'm sold on the quality of Glocks, one pistol I'm seriously considering for a backup weapon that I've read some good reviews on is the Springfield XDS 9mm. You might try a gun show if you have any in your area. I've seen a lot of overpriced stuff at shows, but there are some decent deals too.

Own the S&W SDVE in both 40 and 9. I have the Glock 23 and 19 as well. The Smiths are much more comfortable to me and have been 100% reliable. ruger isn't a bad choice either. All up to you really. Our opinions are just that.

The only gripe I have on the Sigma series S&W guns is the trigger pull is horrible. The early prototypes were awesome from what I hear, but it violated some patents and they had to change it which made it have a rough and heavy trigger.

OK I've dropped the Kel-Tec out of the race. I'm seriously considering a Ruger SR22. Yes, it is a .22lr. But my reasoning is that it will be cheaper to shoot and I have bricks upon bricks of 22 ammo for it. I take my Henry out and I plink 300 rounds a night no problem. I can hit bottles and cans from way out there. I shoot my Henry and my 870 spot on. My 9mm not so much. If I get good at the SR22 which is highly likely, my shot placement will be much more effective i.e. 2-3 shots Center Of Mass vs possibly a near miss with a 9mm.

I know people advise against carrying a 22, but if I can get darn good with it, 22 is deadly. So it's between that and the SD9VE and obviously the Ruger is smaller and lighter for carry. I'd carry an extra loaded mag in my back pocket. Both of those guns are $329 at my LGS.

The 22 is deadly, but not immediately. It does not penetrate enough to hit vital organs and cause the bad guy to shut down. The bad guy is more likely to bleed out slowly instead. I remember reading a story about a woman who carried a Baby Browning 25acp and emptied the gun at close range into an assailant. The bad guy had enough life left to strange her to death before he died.

You need atleast a 32acp, preferably a 380acp gun to stop a bad guy and you need good expanding ammo to do so.

Not only is the 22 not immediately effective, the rimfire is not used for self defense because it is not as reliable.

If you are worried about recoil and accuracy, look into something heavy to offset the recoil. That or go to an all steel 38 Special revolver.

Thanks for the suggestions Robenstein, but I really don't want to get into a different caliber.

Recoil is not the problem for me but practice and the money going into it is. I can go out and shoot 200 rounds of 9mm but then I'm preoccupied with picking up the cases (I reload now) and I still end up spending 4x as much as I do when I go out and shoot 200 rounds of .22. I guess I have some thinking to do.

You cannot put a price on protection my friend. I would only chose a 22 over a stick or a rock for the reasons I mentioned. You would be better served getting a 9mm that you can also get a 22 kit for to practice with.

I have a Wather PPQ. Not sure that you can get one in your posted price range I think I paid about $600 new but it might be worth a look at least.

Are you really going to carry it? If not I like the idea of a nice .22 to shoot a lot. Then save for a nice carry gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back