Traded my 2008 for a 2014 Ultra today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was having some throttle sensor problems. Stalling while driving it fairly often.
Tranny was whining. Had bearing and race replaced 3 years ago.
Starter had some new and funky grinding sounds the past few months.
I ride often and about 12k miles per year. Was really not confident in the bike any more.
Took it to dealer.
Ended up with another black one, my favorite color, and this one has navigation but no CB radio which is slightly disappointing. Got new High Output 103 engine.
Rode it a little today and going out tomorrow.
I always have these second thoughts in my gut after I trade away a friend like her. Was just afraid I was about to be stranded somewhere. And then I would call her a [censored].
Any way, I now have a new bike for a few more years. Hopefully not my last.
I just do not like unreliable machines. Especially 2 wheel machines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc

So you bought a HD anyway. LOL

Congrats! How many miles were on your 2008? The starter noise sounds like the starter drive going bad. I replaced my H-D primary chain self tensioner with a Hayden. I've heard the H-D one ratchets up and can trash tranny bearings because the primary chain ends up being too tight. I replaced mine with 5,000 miles on the bike, so hopefully I can avoid any bearing issues. You may want to look into the Hayden primary tensioner on your new bike as it's easy to install and costs less than $100.

Congratulations...

Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited... what color?

You sure it doesn't have a CB? It list 6 CB presets under audio sources in the specifications?

Originally Posted By: Trav

6 whole years old ... and you lost faith in it... then you buy another... that is loyalty...!

Good luck...

The old bike had little over 63k miles.
As much as we ride and travel, I did not like idea of being stranded.
The 2008 model year was the first that Harley went to sensors for throttle and away from cables.
New bike is black. Nice classic color.

Been on Harley for many years now. Enjoy the brand and am loyal.
My buddies call them overweight and underpowered boat anchors.
However they are quite comfortable, as least the ones I buy.
I hope she lasts for many years.

That didn't take long!!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: geeman789

6 whole years old ... and you lost faith in it... then you buy another... that is loyalty...!

Good luck...

He didn't want to spend the money to fix what wore out. Something wrong with that? Do you have confidence in a car that needs repairs for long trips? When people buy new cars every two years, does that mean there's a problem with that brand also?.,

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

That didn't take long!!!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm no hater i owned 5 of at one time or another. I just prefer a different style bike now and a bike that can go problem free for 150K miles (over 250K Km) and 12+ years.
Reliability and smoothness were never HD strong points.

My point was only if after only 6 yrs and 72K the machine was becoming unreliable another one would the last thing i would buy.

Last edited:
I bought a 14 Limted 4 months ago. It's at 9,000 miles right now. Just took a 4,800 mile trip. I need to lower it as I did my 04. Wife says it a more comfortable ride for her. My 04 had 50,000 trouble free miles. Just oil and tires.

The 6 speed trannys have been known to whine. Most guys go to a heavier oil and it quietens them down. It seems to me the stalling could have been easily fixed by an experienced H.D. mechanic. Starter displaying some new and funky grinding sounds....uh, have the starter checked. Sounds like someone will get a good motorcycle soon.....YOUR OLD ONE !!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new one. These have the liquid cooled heads with the knee radiators, yes?

Was having some throttle sensor problems. Stalling while driving it fairly often.
Tranny was whining. Had bearing and race replaced 3 years ago.
Starter had some new and funky grinding sounds the past few months.
I ride often and about 12k miles per year. Was really not confident in the bike any more.
Took it to dealer.
Ended up with another black one, my favorite color, and this one has navigation but no CB radio which is slightly disappointing. Got new High Output 103 engine.
Rode it a little today and going out tomorrow.
I always have these second thoughts in my gut after I trade away a friend like her. Was just afraid I was about to be stranded somewhere. And then I would call her a [censored].
Any way, I now have a new bike for a few more years. Hopefully not my last.

So sorry to hear about the 2008. Seems to be a lot of issues for just 63000 miles.

Here's wishes for a better experience with the new one.

The old bike had little over 63k miles.
As much as we ride and travel, I did not like idea of being stranded.
The 2008 model year was the first that Harley went to sensors for throttle and away from cables.
New bike is black. Nice classic color.

Been on Harley for many years now. Enjoy the brand and am loyal.
My buddies call them overweight and underpowered boat anchors.
However they are quite comfortable, as least the ones I buy.
I hope she lasts for many years.

Grats ! I like to put about 60000 and trade them in too . The best part of the deal is they still have value ! I live in ohio where they once made the goldwings , most of them in 5 years are cheap to buy . The goldwing clubs are dying out and you don't see them out on road . I bought a new superglide in 13 , and have owned a classic and roadking . Your dealer won'thave your O8 long , people love them and buy them ! Ride on my friend !
Jake

Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
I live in ohio where they once made the goldwings , most of them in 5 years are cheap to buy .
Jake

I'm in Ohio too. Can you link me to some of these cheap 5 year old Goldwings?

Congrats on the new bike. I have an 07 Ultra Classic and an 02 Softail Deuce...never a problem out an either so I am also a Harley loyal customer having been riding them for 31 years.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
I live in ohio where they once made the goldwings , most of them in 5 years are cheap to buy .
Jake

I'm in Ohio too. Can you link me to some of these cheap 5 year old Goldwings?

Sure can just Craig list , there are a lot of them in your price range !
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back