Tractor hydraulics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it specify non detergent by chance?

I would think any cheap 10w30 would be fine. It won't (shouldn't) be exposed to many contaminants or combustion etc.

Last edited:
why would 10w30 be unstable?

Also the recommendation probably had to do with places that have a winter.. and winter time use.

I wouldnt be afraid to use any number of substitutes.

I am thinking a sae30 would be better since I am sure that its pump is well worn and a straight 30 would leak less around the pistons. It does not say anything about non detergent oil. Cant buy any here anyway due to state regs.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My tractor book says to use 10w30 in its hydraulics. This was 1957. Any reasont to use something else. Sae30 more stable?

Yes, use monograde SAE30 (preferably an HDEO) in lieu of multigrade 10W30 for shear stability as a typical hydraulic system shears.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
It does not say anything about non detergent oil. Cant buy any here anyway due to state regs.

Very interesting.

Let me know if you ever need some shipped!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Send the Kaleeforna Reps a letter and one to the press stating you need a waver for farming purposes.

Otherwise, an ISO 68 or 100 R&O or Hydraulic labelled oil from the Farm and Ranch store will be sufficient.

I would think some cheap tractor hydraulic oil from Rural King (if you guys have that) would work, but don't take my word on it, I've never used/maintained a tractor
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back