Traction Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good are the electronic traction control systems which uses the ABS system to brake spinning wheels? I am more interested in winter traction. Are they a good substitute for a limited slip differential?

i have heard they are pretty good. i remember someone asking about a toy sienna (this forum or another i cant remember) and they wanted awd. a few people said to skip the awd and get the fwd with traction control and its as good if not better than awd. you also get to keep the spare tire with the fwd configuration.

quote:

On the Honda, the trac. control is only used up to 20 mph. If the Honda is equipped with the VSA control, the work in conjunction, but basically apply brakes and/or reduce engine rpm. Works pretty good, but you have to let it work. You can't sit there and floor it when the roads are iced up.

it works for me when climbing steep mountain (gravel) driveways in my accord. almost as good as the awd subaru i had. of course i drove the subaru was like a rally racer
wink.gif

Traction control via ABS (at low speeds only) on my Audi works so well that if the car sits on deep, dry sand with all four wheels, it won't move at all.
tongue.gif

Under all other conditions it works very well. I still can chirp and spin the tires a little if I'm rough on the clutch -- which I generally avoid.

I drive on snow 6 months of the year and I'm not a fan of any traction control system, to the point that I would not buy a vehicle with traction control that couldn't be entirely deactivated. IMHO, it's a poor substitute for good tires and it numbs you from actual road conditions.

I generally hate extra crap that automakers stick in vehicles for people who can't drive, however the traction control in my Malibu Maxx LT works pretty well. It doesn't use the ABS though. Once your tires start spinning, traction is lost. It works by slowing the engine down to limit wheel speed. Maybe it does use the ABS slightly, but I don't feel it.

Either way, it compensates for the crappy SE200 tires that come on the Malibu. Being old school, I miss rear wheel drive with studs and posi rearends.

On the Honda, the trac. control is only used up to 20 mph. If the Honda is equipped with the VSA control, the work in conjunction, but basically apply brakes and/or reduce engine rpm. Works pretty good, but you have to let it work. You can't sit there and floor it when the roads are iced up.

ABS/traction control seems to work well in generally keeping you pointed straight ahead, but don't get caught up like some 4wd owners do in thinking that a system transports you Fantasy Island, where it makes up for crummy tires for the conditions. With poor tires you can end up with long stopping distances with ABS, effectively stalling with traction control, and breaking the rear end loose with a limited slip.

The system works well on my 2WD Silverado. I can floor it on wet pavement and not spin. It has also probably kept me from bouncing right off some steep gravel washboard roads in the mountains. It uses both ABS and the throttle, and can be turned off manually. On this vehicle, the option required the locking differential as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back