Tracking app or device?

My wife wants me to be able to track her whereabouts should she get lost. We were out with some friends and meeting another couple. The wife was at the meeting spot but her husband was not. She pulled out her phone and tracked him down to see where he was. My wife thought it was something she'd like me to be able to do for her. She is iPhone and i'm Android. I don't want to pay for this. We're both on the same phone plan with Verizon if that helps. There seem to be a lot of options for this but maybe someone here has already done the research.

Maybe carry an apple airtag, apple has an android app to track airtags. I think the iphone gps location can also be shared, I don't know about tracking apps or what it would take to track it on the android though.

Last edited:
We use Google Maps location sharing, but cross platform obviously will need an independent app. There are many, search the stores for a common one.

What I will say is phone tracking is sometimes unreliable. A dozen things can keep you from getting an updated location from someone. I'd like something more reliable but the paid services are... well they're not as cheap as I'd like.

The free Life360 works fairly well across both operating systems. My family uses it due to a teenage driver. Some features are inactive in the free version but it doesn't sound like you need the driving alerts and history for what you are trying to do.

We use Google Maps location sharing, but cross platform obviously will need an independent app.
This is not accurate.
All you need to do is share Google map locations with one another.
My daughter has an iPhone and I'm an android guy. She shared her location in Google maps and I can see her location with no problem.

As others have stated, there's a hundred things that will result in the location being off but it usually updates in 15 minutes or so to be more accurate than I'd ever need.

This is not accurate.
All you need to do is share Google map locations with one another.
My daughter has an iPhone and I'm an android guy. She shared her location in Google maps and I can see her location with no problem.

As others have stated, there's a hundred things that will result in the location being off but it usually updates in 15 minutes or so to be more accurate than I'd ever need.
What app do you use on iPhone to see them?

My wife wants me to be able to track her whereabouts should she get lost. We were out with some friends and meeting another couple. The wife was at the meeting spot but her husband was not. She pulled out her phone and tracked him down to see where he was. My wife thought it was something she'd like me to be able to do for her.
If this question was posted on social media, people would be freaking out and saying no husband should be able to track their wife, with or without consent.

If this question was posted on social media, people would be freaking out and saying no husband should be able to track their wife, with or without consent.
You're right about that. My wife has gotten lost a few times and has panic attacks when she's lost. It's traumatic for her.

We are trying out Life360. Seems like it might be intrusive with notifications but we'll see.

First, this is social media, if only aging old guys social media.

Second, people would be right to freak out about tracking others without their consent. Would you be happy learning that someone had tracked you without your knowledge?

My daughter and I specifically discussed this topic and we came to mutual agreement about what either of us would do with the information. We basically use it for emergency type situations only.

YMMV.

My wife wants me to be able to track her whereabouts should she get lost. We were out with some friends and meeting another couple. The wife was at the meeting spot but her husband was not. She pulled out her phone and tracked him down to see where he was. My wife thought it was something she'd like me to be able to do for her. She is iPhone and i'm Android. I don't want to pay for this. We're both on the same phone plan with Verizon if that helps. There seem to be a lot of options for this but maybe someone here has already done the research.
Some good advice in here depending if your understanding it. If not, just go out or to apple.com and buy an iPhone 11 for $499 and your all set.
I think it would be more simple for you, with more support and less frustration.

Do not rely on Apple Air tags, they are not for the purpose you want. We have Apple AirTags for some items and we also have one on our dogs collar but it is not going to be as instant as needed if you want to know where a person on demand isnt going to happen, more so using an android phone.

$499 for an iPhone 11 answers your question and it will make your wife happy, feeling secure would be a nice present for her.

Last edited:
Back