track the world's wealthiest

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N06427635.htm
Quote:
The study suggests setting a uniform international cap on how much carbon dioxide each person could emit in order to limit global emissions; since rich people emit more, they are the ones likely to reach or exceed this cap, whether they live in a rich country or a poor one.

For example, if world leaders agree to keep carbon emissions in 2030 at the same level they are now, no one person's emissions could exceed 11 tons of carbon each year. That means there would be about a billion "high emitters" in 2030 out of a projected world population of 8.1 billion.

Quote:
By counting the emissions of all the individuals likely to exceed this level, world leaders could provide target emissions cuts for each country. Currently, the world average for individual annual carbon emissions is about 5 tons; each European produces 10 tons and each American produces 20 tons.

With international climate talks set to start this week in Italy among the countries that pollute the most, the authors hope policymakers will look at the strong link between how rich people are and how much carbon dioxide they emit.

Quote:
Is this a limousine-and-yacht tax on the rich? Not necessarily, Chakravarty said, but he did not rule it out: "We are not by any means proposing that. If some country finds a way of doing that, it's great."

EVERYONE in Europe or America would be considered "rich" under this plan.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Are you ever going to post something that's not remotely political?

Don't like what I post, eh? Too hard to defend against?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Are you ever going to post something that's not remotely political?

Don't like what I post, eh? Too hard to defend against?

picard-facepalm.jpg

I don't have to defend anything against anything. I think you have some issues.

That's why you have to completely ignore what I post and attack me? Talk about issues...

Because all you post, Tempest, is the same anti-government, anti-green, anti-pretty much everybody except you junk all the time. Yet for all your moaning and fingerpointing, you never have any answers of your own. Why bother to refute you, you rarely ever read or and more rarely comprehend anything that doesn't fit your agenda, so what's the point?

Let's suggest for a moment you have two choices.

Let's point out that we're 5% of the global population ..and that we command a big chuck of the globe's resources.

Would you rather have the rest of the globe compete for them ..win them ..and reach balance with them in terms of how those resources are distributed? In something like energy, where we're 5% of the globe's population ..yet consume 25% of the stuff ..let's turn that into ..maybe ..if we can earn it ..5%. 1/5th of our current take ..and all that includes.

..or would you rather pay for the privilege of them NOT getting their fair share via development and retaining your piggy-piggy ways?

Either way it costs.

Again, if you're going to be dead soon enough, you don't have to worry about it. There's also wars that can alter the mix ..but in our scenario here, we're given just those two choices.

I'm not suggesting either choice is a good one. I'd rather take a shovel to most of the planet and sit in my comfy chair ..but I must maintain a rhetorical moral point of view.

Am I missing something here?
On the left side of the column, it shows the original subject line and original poster.
If you guys don't like the where the post originates from, don't click on it.
How hard is it? If you don't like a follow up post, that's one thing, but other than that, it's pretty clear.
Some of these gripes remind me of people who move next to a busy metropolitan airport and then complain about the noise.

I chose not to have kids. That should make my carbon footprint small and make my yacht exempt from carbon taxes. Having kids is the worst thing you can do for the environment.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I chose not to have kids. That should make my carbon footprint small and make my yacht exempt from carbon taxes. Having kids is the worst thing you can do for the environment.

Sort of true I guess, have you seen Idiocracy? It would be good for some yacht owners breed... They just have raise the kids to care about the environment.
Personally, we could easily double our CO2 emissions if we wanted to. I could buy a 4x4 pickup, install AC and heat with oil... It would cost more and I'd feel like a dummy so I don't.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

If there are no humans on Earth, what's the point of the planet? But it is true that if no one is around, there won't be any screw ups. Sometimes I want to use that logic at work - can't muck up anything if I'm not there! Of course, that's not much of a challenge then!
LOL.gif

It's easy not to pay for this "carbon tax" or eliminate our carbon footprint all together:

Start bombing every single power plant that burn oil or coal, crush every single car that uses gasoline/diesel, and mandate every heating source to be wood burning oven.

Problem solved, no more taxes, no more carbon footprint.

What's the problem?

Quote:
Start bombing every single power plant that burn oil or coal, crush every single car that uses gasoline/diesel, and mandate every heating source to be wood burning oven.

All of that takes energy that causes a larger carbon footprint so you'd actually be worsening the "problem".

But there are plenty of people that buy into that logic.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

All of that takes energy that causes a larger carbon footprint so you'd actually be worsening the "problem".

But there are plenty of people that buy into that logic.

I guess when you're that serious, sarcasm can easily go over your head.
LOL.gif

Quote:
I guess when you're that serious, sarcasm can easily go over your head.

I got it, but as I said, there are plenty of people that do think that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back