Tracfone/Moto G7 Optimo

All this talk about cell phones made me want a new one. I've been researching this for a few weeks, since working at home I need a phone and my current LG Ultimate 2 turned 5 years old last month and is showing it's age. Charging time has increased and talk time had decreased so while it still works it will make a good backup. I hated getting a new phone because I'm still under the old rates and it costs me less than $20 every three months. Although lately I've had to buy air time at $10 for 500 minutes and $5 for 1000 texts since working at home. With the new phone I am going with the $20 a month for unlimited talk and text and 1GB data that rolls over, not bad. All this time with this phone and Tracfone I have never had one issue so I'm sticking with Tracfone.

I wanted to stay with LG but they just didn't have anything with Android 9 so I pulled the trigger on the Moto G7 Optimo, all in for less than $100.

Any one else use a Moto G5, G6 or G7?

Last edited:
I have a Moto G7 I use with Tracfone. I purchased my phone at Best Buy unlocked 64 gig memory love it. I have been a Tracfone user for over 5 years. My wife has the same phone, we just purchase our minutes as needed.

that's a good device.. Lenovo the pc brand now owns moto so they're producing some nice quality phones. Tracfone has newer more attractive plans you may be interested in..
[Linked Image]

Im a big Motorola fan. Currently have a moto 7 play. They are good phones for the money. I usually go through one a year though. Im hard on my phones. Hate device protectors. I can justify buying one a year as much as I save with them.

I have a moto g-7 through verizon. It works for me. I don't do a lot with the phone other than calls, and text, a few pics.

About to get a Tracfone Moto G7 Optimo Maxx, which is the same phone as the G7 Power. Battery life is big for me, plus I got it bundled with a one-year plan that retails for $125 and costs $75 online with a promo code. Will report back to this thread once I start to use it. Gets mostly good reviews but there are reports of wonky Wifi. Enjoy yours.

The MotoG line has always been good to me. I went with a Nokia 7.1 this go round and wish I hadn't. I'll probably go back to the Moto phones in the next 6 months or so. I generally refuse to buy anything but unlocked/Carrier Agnostic phones (although the 7.1 is GSM only), just in case I need to jump to a different carrier.

The Moto G7 Optimo Maxx arrived Thursday. Below are first impressions of the phone itself. I will try not to allow an ongoing nightmare customer service experience with Tracfone to color the commentary. (My first horrible Tracfone experience after many phones over many years. I have read that TF customer care has improved and is generally good these days, but if you are one of the lucky ones who loses a ton of data and minutes when switching phones you might as well just forget it. Now I get it.)

I got this phone for the promised best-available battery life, plus Android 9, as well as performance and camera specs that are good for the price point, at least on paper.

So far, as advertised. Set-up was easy. (The phone, not the TF service.) It cycled through a few updates pretty quickly, now at the February security patch. Added my gmail info and installed a few apps, played with settings. Pretty intuitive. It had a few pre-installed apps I could have done without, but the skin is pretty well-done overall. I ditched Pandora and Candy Crush, etc., but that's just personal preference.

Call quality is pretty good. Camera is fine for normal use, tried it outside in the yard and indoors. Screen is bright and clear but fairly low-res for its size. Mentioned all this since those are areas criticized in some reviews of the G7 Power, (same phone). If you want the best-quality camera or screen, this is not your ideal phone, but neither is any phone at this price point.

No problems with Wifi, which has also been reported. One quirk is that the phone has no native voice recorder app. I know it's trivial to install one, but it still seems strange.

So, first impressions are mostly good. Will report back later if I am still a Tracfone customer.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
What network.. is the tracfone on.. att or vz?

If you meant mine, it is Verizon. (CDMA)

First off I'm coming from 4.4 android to 9 so my enthusiasm may not be warranted but dang this phone is really nice. Setup was a breeze and activation only took a few minutes. I used the Moto Content Transfer app and was really surprised how well it worked by letting me choose what I wanted to bring over, photos, contacts and a couple apps I paid for that I thought I would loose came right over and worked without a hitch.

The speaker is way better than the LG I had since I hate having to hold the phone to my ear, I always use the speaker when calling. My wife said she can't tell I was on speaker when she could with the LG.

So far no problems with wifi, my router is in the basement so I went out side to see how far it would reach and it started getting spotty when I crossed the street into the neighbors driveway, this is about twice as far as my LG would go.

If I would of know all this I would of done this a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
First off I'm coming from 4.4 android to 9 so my enthusiasm may not be warranted but dang this phone is really nice. Setup was a breeze and activation only took a few minutes. I used the Moto Content Transfer app and was really surprised how well it worked by letting me choose what I wanted to bring over, photos, contacts and a couple apps I paid for that I thought I would loose came right over and worked without a hitch.

The speaker is way better than the LG I had since I hate having to hold the phone to my ear, I always use the speaker when calling. My wife said she can't tell I was on speaker when she could with the LG.

So far no problems with wifi, my router is in the basement so I went out side to see how far it would reach and it started getting spotty when I crossed the street into the neighbors driveway, this is about twice as far as my LG would go.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your phone. Did your minutes, texts and data transfer from your old phone? I just went through my first Tracfone "lost everything during the transfer" customer care nightmare. Got it all credited apart from about 1 GB of data, but it was unreal the time, effort and searching the Web it took to make that happen.

The phone itself is quite good in most ways. Moto G series seems to be good value.

Originally Posted by faramir9
Originally Posted by Duffyjr

Glad to hear you are enjoying your phone. Did your minutes, texts and data transfer from your old phone? I just went through my first Tracfone "lost everything during the transfer" customer care nightmare. Got it all credited apart from about 1 GB of data, but it was unreal the time, effort and searching the Web it took to make that happen.

The phone itself is quite good in most ways. Moto G series seems to be good value.

I came from an older plan that had triple minutes, text and data to the Unlimited text and talk with 1GB data a month. It didn't appear that the data transferred over but after calling them they assured me I had 4.76 of data. Here is what it looks like which is some what confusing because it says "benefits from the current plan will be consumed before the other benefits" but my data usage is definitely coming off the 1GB at the top.
[Linked Image]

One other thing that is really cool is the finger print security to unlock the phone, works really well and better than entering a pin number every time.

Last edited:
Today I was needing to add more minutes to my TracPhone but decided to sign up for their $20.00 month unlimited talk and text 1 gig data Plan. The wife and I have been with TracPhone over 5 years ,we purchased our own unlocked MotoG7 phones a few years back. We use AT&T towers could not be happier.

Moto G Series User from the Original Moto G. Using the Moto G Power now and plenty happy. Lots of battery and fast enough for me.

The one time I strayed from the Moto and got a Nokia 7.1. Pretty phone, but buggy and fragile. Glad to be rid of it.

Back