TPMS Service kits

It seems of late (last several years) that when I do my seasonal tire changeover the shop always wants to do maintenance on the TPMS by selling the service kits? Is this an upsell? Do I really need this twice a year? Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

If you're not removing or replacing the sensor, you don't need the kit. And even then, I've reused those pieces without issue. I guess they expect some gorilla to tighten the plastic nut too tight and strip the threads so they spec a new one every time.

it might be a good idea after 8 years but then again the sensors themselves might go kaput. its not like they are putting new batteries in.

All my tpms sensors are dead on my elantra. I really don't care about it, certainly not enough to spend an extra $200+ on them. When I need new tires, will the shops be willing to install regular valve stems if I request it?

No thread highjack intended but.....Is there a primer (website?) for TPMS? I know the systems only use 2 frequencies.
It should be a "no brainer" to install new TPMS sensors. All anyone should need is the correct frequency, no?

All my tpms sensors are dead on my elantra. I really don't care about it, certainly not enough to spend an extra $200+ on them. When I need new tires, will the shops be willing to install regular valve stems if I request it?
They might install regular valve stems if you bring the wheels/tires in off the car. Tell them they are going on a pre-TPMS car.

The OP asked if the TPMS service kits are necessarily when changing over to, and back from, snow tires. He asked nothing about replacing TPMS with regular valve stems.
Sorry, spasm3 asked about replacing them with regular valve stems. Idk why you are so worried about it.

Back