TPMS sensors - Do they draw current from their batteries when not paired?

Hello

I just received a set of 4 TPMS sensors that I ordered online.

I noticed that the date code on them for when they were made is July 2019. So almost 3 years old.

Does this mean that some of the battery life is gone or do they only consume battery current when paired to a vehicle?

My generic Chevy sensors paired with my truck while I held them in my hand.

I had hoped that the initial inflation from zero PSI would pop some cherry and set them alive. Perhaps some work this way.

I thought when these TPMS rolls in when the car is in motion, it wakes up & monitor. When the car is not moving at all then it goes to sleep to save on it's battery life. My 2008 Escape still has it's original OEM TPMS & has only 60K+ miles on it.

I think they really wake up when they detect a change in PSI. They should transmit much more frequently when that happens.

TPMS sensors are in a “sleep” mode out of the box or when installed from the factory. A drastic pressure drop is enough to wake them up during PDI. When I installed mine, despite the fact I used an Autel scan tool to write the sensor IDs to the TPMS ECU, the light didn’t turn off until I drove almost a mile after pressing the “reset” button - which does nothing but tells the system to “listen” for the sensor IDs.

Some “universal” sensors need to be woken up with a TPMS scan tool - Conti’s VDO Redi-Sensors are such. The American OEMs use a trigger tool - either a magnet(GM or Chrysler) or a little clicker(Ford) but the scan tools do have a triggering ability in them.

These systems are all so different.

On my 2019 Ram 1500 classic, I have two sets of factory tires/wheels/sensors. When I switch sets, it takes about a mile of driving for the truck to recognize the change.

On my 2015 Nissan Versa, I just removed the snow tires / wheels without sensors a few weeks ago. When I put the factory set back on with OEM sensors, the TPMS lights were all clear on restart. The only thing I did was add a couple of PSIG of air to each one after install, which must have woken them up.

Back